Tuesday, December 22, 2020

THE LAST TO SEE HER by Courtney Evan Tate

 

A woman disappears into the dark city night…
Gen is on the verge of a divorce from her cheating husband. When her sister, Meg, has a convention to attend in the Big Apple, she invites Gen along to celebrate her newly found freedom. But the perfect sisters’ getaway quickly goes awry when a tipsy Gen defiantly throws her wedding ring off the hotel room’s balcony. Then, wanting some fresh air, she decides to take a late-evening walk alone and vanishes without a trace.

The investigation that follows uncovers secrets—and betrayals—between sisters and spouses that will twist the truth in on itself until nothing is clear.

What really happened to Gen and who, besides Meg, was the last to see her?

My Thoughts:

First I have to say that this book could have easily been a huge 5 star read. It was edge of your seat good. Had all the things you want in a good thriller. Was told in different POVs and kept me turning the pages. The bad part was the overuse of certain words. It got very aggravating to me. The word "mercurial" which means: Subject to sudden or unpredictable changes of mood or mind. After the first few times reading that word I got so sick of it. It really was overused. It just took away from the story after a while. That being said....

This book has it all. It's a clever page turner. It's a rollercoaster of a ride. It's a thriller you don't want to miss. The characters are all flawed yet likable. Even Thad. I loved hating him. I loved hating Meg. That was Gen's husband. Meg her sister. Both did things that in my opinion were unforgivable. I don't care what the circumstances are you just do not do some things. I did see it coming too. It was predictable. 

Gen goes missing while in New York with her sister Meg. The hunt begins. The lies stack up. The secrets are unraveled. Who can you trust? Not many it seems. Maybe Meg's husband, Joe. He's about the only one that was honest in this whole story. Gen has problems and no one seems to be able to help. This book has so many things going on. At every chapter it seems a new twist is added. But they all make the ending that much better. 

The problem I had with this book was the ending though. If Gen had such problems how did she make it to where she did. How did her mind comprehend to do what she did? I'm afraid that was a bit out there, but it was still a very good story and I guess I expected such an ending. Only a writer after all could come up with that. 

There are several side characters that you will meet. They are necessary and mostly very likable. I felt sorry for Jenkins. I felt awful for Detective Nate Hawkins. I felt bad for Jody. This book does give you a lot of feels. It makes you think things are one way and they will be another. Just when you think you have it all figured out something else changes. It's definitely a page turning thrilling edge of your seat book.

Thank you to @NetGalley, #HarlequinMIRA, #CourtneyEvanTate for this ARC. This is my own review as I saw it.

4/5 stars and it could easily have been 5 stars if not for a word.... I recommend this one. Highly!



2 comments:

  1. Great review as always.

    I liked this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      It was a very good book!

      Have a very Merry Christmas.

      Delete

Granite Harbor by Peter Nichols

  My Thoughts I've had a lot of firsts this year. First time reads that is. Another new to me author that I will be looking out for. Thi...