Thursday, December 3, 2020

DARK FALLS by Gregg Olsen

 


One bath wall is a mural of a brilliant-yellow sunflower. The theme carries over to the shower curtains, but the yellow vinyl is spattered with red blotches. Propped against the mirror is a South Kitsap High School photo of a teenaged girl.

I enjoy the first two books in this series very much. This one was good, but not quite as good as the previous two. It lacked something. It seemed to get a bit repetitive when talking about Monique Delmont's daughter and what happened to her. Every time she was mentioned the author added who she was and what happened to her. That would be something you would not forget so ease up on the reminders there. The book was excellent though, with the exception of the person of interest here. I still do not know who she is other than Alex's lover maybe. I know where she was from and why she did what she did but still that ending just seemed a bit rushed. It was not as well played out as the closure in the first two books. That disappointed me. As for reading about Megan's history that didn't bother me in the least. I learned some things in this book that was not mentioned in the first two. I thought this book was good but not as good as SNOW CREEK or WATER'S EDGE. Those too were absolutely unputdownable for me. I'm afraid this one just fell a tad short. 
Megan is still working with Ronnie, who you met in book 2. Ronnie is a very likable character and a very good cop. I really liked her. I really liked Megan also. The characters in this book were all likable with the exception of the one after Megan/Riley who's name I don't even remember ever knowing. That was a bit disconcerting for me. But it is what it is. Apparently the author thought that would add mystery to the story and it did to a point. But it's always a good thing to find out who did what to whom. At least to me it is. 
This book was well written to a point. It keeps you wanting to know who is doing what and why. You will find out part of that. The why part. It's the who that floored me. Though you know basically who she is you don't learn her name. I didn't like that. I didn't appreciate that. 
The scenes in this book are great. You feel like you are walking through the woods. Like you are creeping inside Megan's home with gun drawn. Like you are being dragged behind the trailer. It's a good story just missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. Almost but not quite. 
Those are my thoughts of this book. I would say it's well written and it is. Just missing something. 
Thank you to #NetGalley, #GreggOlsen, #Bookouture for this ARC. This is my own thoughts about this book.

I'm giving it a 3.5/5 stars. I wish I could give it more but I was left wondering too much with this one. Read for yourself and decide though. It's pretty good but....



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

  My thoughts I'm really enjoying this series so much. This is the third book and it's even better than the last one. I never though...