Friday, December 11, 2020

COLD WIND by Paige Shelton

 



Second in a new series set in Alaska from beloved cozy author Paige Shelton, Cold Wind will chill your bones.

Beth Rivers is still in Alaska. The unidentified man who kidnapped her in her home of St. Louis hasn’t been found yet, so she’s not ready to go back.
But as October comes to a close, Benedict is feeling more and more like her new home. Beth has been working on herself: She’s managed to get back to writing, and she’s enjoying these beautiful months between summer and winter in Alaska.
Then, everything in Benedict changes after a mudslide exposes a world that had been hidden for years. Two mud-covered, silent girls appear, and a secret trapper’s house is found in the woods. The biggest surprise, though, is a dead and frozen woman’s body in the trapper’s shed. No one knows who she is, but the man who runs the mercantile, Randy, seems to be in the middle of all the mysteries.
Unable to escape her journalistic roots, Beth is determined to answer the questions that keep arising: Are the mysterious girls and the frozen body connected? Can Randy possibly be involved? And—most importantly—can she solve this mystery before the cold wind sweeping over the town and the townspeople descends for good?

My Thoughts: 
Second in a new series set in Alaska from beloved cozy author Paige Shelton, Cold Wind will chill your bones.

I'm thinking that if I had read the first book I would have enjoyed this one much better. Since I didn't read it I have to give my honest opinion. This is a very well written and researched book. It's descriptions are great. I actually felt the freezing temps. It was easy to picture all the scenes. The people were great. Very likable, with the exception of Beth's mother. I just could not relate to her at all. To me she just seemed childish and a bit over the top. Maybe she was expressed better in book one. I have no idea but I do know I just could not get into her way of saying things. 

Beth is a very likable character even though she sort of came across and a bit nosy in places. But she is an author so has to explore things. She was certainly brave for someone who had to up and leave her place and move to the wilds of Alaska. With her past I would have thought she might be a bit more jumpy. But she wasn't. She attacks the mystery in this book like a pro. Finding out what happed and who did what. There are several surprises along the way and I did not figure out anything about anything. That's always a good thing.

I enjoyed this book. It took me places that I have never been. Alaska, what a place. I thought the author truly captured the area perfectly. The people seemed to be spot on. They stick together and don't tend to trust outsiders while at the same time they welcome you with open arms. Now I have no idea exactly how Beth ended up there as I didn't read the first book. I didn't know a whole lot of anything expect what happened right here in this story. It was a page turner for sure. A very quick read and I'm positive if you read the first book you are going to love this one. I'm positive there will be another also and hope I get a chance to read book one before that. 

Thank you to #NetGalley, #PaigeShelton, #StMartin'sPress #Minotaurbooks for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this story. 
4/5 stars from me and I do recommend it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Granite Harbor by Peter Nichols

  My Thoughts I've had a lot of firsts this year. First time reads that is. Another new to me author that I will be looking out for. Thi...