Monday, November 23, 2020

THE STRANGER IN MY BED by Karen King

 


Fans of The Girl on the TrainBehind Closed Doors and Date Night, who are looking for a dark, gripping psychological suspense novel, will love The Stranger in My Bed.

‘We have a patient who has been involved in a serious accident. We believe he’s your husband.’


Synopsis:

When Freya first met Phil, she thought he was the man of her dreams. He bought her roses every week, booked surprise trips to sun-soaked destinations, and showed her affection like she’d never experienced before. But over time the dream has become a violent nightmare. And now Freya is packing her bags, knowing it’s time she escaped their increasingly broken marriage.

But then Freya gets a visit from the police. Phil’s been in a horrific car crash and – as he comes around – it becomes clear that he remembers nothing since their blissful honeymoon two years before, back when their relationship was perfect. All he wants is to be happily married again.

Freya knows giving him another chance could be dangerous. But now he’s the one who needs her, it’s a chance to turn the tables, and to change the outcome of their relationship once and for all. After all, he will only know what she chooses to tell him…

But what really happened during those two years of marriage? And as they start over again, who is safe? And whose life is in danger?

Fans of The Girl on the TrainBehind Closed Doors and Date Night, who are looking for a dark, gripping psychological suspense novel, will love The Stranger in My Bed.

My thoughts:

This was a very intense book. It was about abuse, affairs, not being there for others the way you should be. About family, trust, honor, children. 

I did not like Phil at all. Not one tiny bit. I found him to be a big bully and very self-centered. He only cared about himself. He may have been in an accident. He may have lost two years. But he didn't learn a thing. He still lied, bullied, cheated and was very destructive. He was a very unlikable person.

It was kind of hard for me to like Freya also. I found her to be very weak. I know it happens in this type of relationship but at first it appeared she was a strong woman. One who didn't mind voicing her opinion. One who stood up for what she believed. That didn't last at all. But near the very end I did like her. I felt so bad for her for all she went through, Not just with Phil but also her mother and sister. I did figure out what was up with the sister by the way. Not good Daisy. Not good at all. I did not like Freya's mother either. Seems she though Phil was better than her own daughter. But then you only hear a bit from her and she's never mentioned again. It's like she was forgotten.... 

I like when I read a book and learn new words. This one didn't disappoint with that either. There were several words that I know but didn't think of until they appeared here. That's always a plus with reading. 

The characters in this book are not really likable. They are very annoying and you will get frustrated with them over and over again. Even hate a couple of them. Lots of secrets are revealed when you find out who did it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good read. Just very aggravating in many places and unlikable characters. There is not a lot of descriptions in it either. I did enjoy reading it and finding out who did what to whom and why. I didn't blame the villain in this book. Not at all. Sometimes you get what you deserve.

It had great potential and like I said, I did enjoy it. But there were things left unanswered for me. People just forgotten. Phil's whole family for instance and Freya's mom.  To me they were strong characters in the story yet after you meet them they are not mentioned again.

I received a copy of this from #NetGalley, #Bookouture. This is my own thoughts and feelings about this book. 

I am giving this book a 3.5/5 stars. I say read it if you want and come to your own conclusions. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,

    I saw this one come up on NetGalley and was really tempted to request it. However, in line with the new 'organised' me, I am trying desperately to only download books I know I have time to read and review, so I was good and passed it by!

    Don't be fooled though, as I have a backup list, and this one is definitely going to be added to it.

    Like yourself, I try not to recommend books, as what I might enjoy, someone else may not and vice versa and I like that you tell readers of your reviews that up front!

    Thanks for sharing and have a good week :)

    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a lovely and very nice comment.
      If a book is extra good I may recommend it. It just depends I guess.

      This one was good but it also let me down. I am trying to keep my list manageable also. I'm only taking books that release from May on. My first three months are pretty solid for reviews.
      Thank you and have a good week also. Happy reading.

      Delete

The Underground Library by Jennifer Ryan

  My thoughts I can't believe this is my first book by this author. It was excellent. Very well written and researched. Based on a true ...