Monday, November 2, 2020

MY ONLY CHILD by Sam Vickery


Book Description:

There he is, my baby boy. His eyes are closed, his tiny rosebud mouth is pursed in sleep. My eyes well up as I catch a whiff of his newborn skin and I swallow back a wave of emotion. I should feel happy, I should feel grateful, but all I can think about is everything I just lost…

It’s a miracle when Katherine’s baby boy is born healthy. But his twin sister doesn’t survive, and when Katherine is told she can’t have any more children the loss is almost too much for her to bear.

Katherine always saw herself having a big family: she remembers how the loneliness of being an only child used to overwhelm her, and she is desperate to adopt a sibling for her son.

But her husband Davis won’t agree. He worries that Katherine will struggle when the new baby arrives. What if growing their family only adds to the grief she feels over losing her little girl? What if this breaks their marriage apart?

And Katherine is forced to make a choice. Give up the second child she has always dreamed of or risk losing the family she already has?

An unforgettable and heart-wrenching page-turner about fighting for those we love. Readers of Jodi Picoult, Diane Chamberlain and Kate Hewitt will remember this story forever. 
My thoughts: 
This is a very emotional story of love and loss. 
The emotions between mother and daughter. Wife and husband. Mother and son in law.
Loss of a child. Not being able to have another child. Holding a child and having to let her go.
This book is one that will have you crying your eyes out all the way through. 
Katherine wakes up after having to have emergency surgery to a horrific loss. Not only has she lost one of her twins. She had to have a hysterectomy. She had wanted a large family and after this those dreams are diminished.  
There are many secrets in this book that come to light after this loss. Tension between Katherine and her husband, Davis. Her mother also.
This book is told from Katherine's POV and her mother, Hazel's POV. It goes back to when Hazel was young and first got married also. 
It's a very well written book that will keep your emotions raw. Make sure you have lots of tissues handy. You will need them. 
I really enjoyed reading this one and liked most of the characters once I understood them all. 
I gave this one a big 5/5 stars.



Sam Vickery is an English author who loves gritty, emotional stories that can make you sob. As a child, she was forever getting in trouble for being caught with her nose in a book, and these days are no different. She lives on the south coast of England with her husband, two children and a cat that thinks it's a dog. 

Disclaimer: I was given this book for REVIEW. It in no way affects my thoughts.




4 comments:

  1. Sounds very good.

    GREAT post and review, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New web site is looking good. Thanks for the great effort. buy maine coon cat

    ReplyDelete

Listen For The Lie by Amy Tintera

  My thoughts This was probably the most aggravating book I've read in like forever. It was interesting but a bit on the dramatic side a...