Tuesday, September 8, 2020

THE DARKEST EVENING by Ann Cleeves

 


This book started out strong. It had great potential and was a somewhat good story. I had a few problems though. A car on the side of the road with the door open. A baby inside. A cop, Vera, getting lost??? I can't believe the cop who was headed home got lost. That was a bit out there but I could overlook that. She takes the baby and goes to a house close by where a dinner party is taking place. Also she is related to the owner. When Vera finds there is a dead woman on the property she does not tell the guests to stay put. She does not make the house a crime scene and demand that everyone present separate and not discuss things. She's supposed to be a seasoned DI and yet she does not treat this crime the way I would have expected. I didn't find that believable. There were just some things about this that didn't read right. But I was still interested and wanted to know who killed this young woman and why. 

This book takes you through a lot, including two murders and a kidnapped baby. It's got some twists and the descriptions are quite vivid. Maybe a bit much at times but still good. You will feel the cold in this book. The deep snow and the pain the middle aged DI feels while trying to solve this case. I don't mean mental pain either. She's feeling the pain in her job, walking, running, falling, being attacked. I would have loved this book if it would not have read more like a Murder She Wrote episode or even a Colombo in part. Vera could get on a nerve for sure. But she did do a good job and did catch the killer. I didn't at all guess who it was. Though it may have been because I was losing interest by this point. I hate when books do this to me.

This book honestly had great potential and it may just be me in that I didn't like the slowness it took. It starts out with a bang and then kind of drags. It finally did pick back up but at almost the end. It just was not my kind of book. It was more of a mystery than a thriller which would be ok if it would have held my attention better. It was just ok for me.

Thank you #NetGalley, #AnnCleeves, #StMartin'sPress for this ARC. This is my own review.

I gave it a 3/5 stars. I say read it for yourself and decide. It was just not for me. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summers At The Saint by Mary Kay Andrews

  My thoughts I can't believe this is the first Mary Kay Andrews book I have read. I've seen several and even own two besides this o...