Monday, February 1, 2021

POSSESSION by Katie Lowe

 

Possession is a chilling psychological thriller written with Katie Lowe’s signature “subtle, persistent, and unmistakable creepiness” (Kirkus, on The Furies).

The past haunts her. The present hunts her.

Conviction @ConvictionPod · 1m
The investigating officer: “I’ve seen a lot of homicides in the years since, but...that’s the one that keeps me up at night.”

The husband’s best man: “They had everybody fooled. Or at least, she did. But I always knew something was off.”

Hannah, the wife: “I told you. I don’t remember anything. I don’t know.”

That’s all to come, this season, on Conviction. Get ready for our most twisted season yet.

~~~

Ten years ago, Hannah’s husband was brutally murdered in their home, and she (conveniently) doesn’t remember a thing about that night. But the police charged someone else—a stranger—and put him away for life. And Hannah packed up her six-year-old daughter and left London behind.

But now her hard-won countryside peace is threatened. Conviction, a viral true crime podcast known for getting cases reopened and old verdicts overturned, has turned its attention to Hannah’s husband’s murder for its new season. They say police framed the man who was found guilty, and that Hannah has more suspicious secrets than just her memory loss: a history of volatility; citations at the clinic where she worked as a psychiatrist; dependencies on alcohol and pills; and a familicidal grandmother, locked away in a Gothic insane asylum until her death. As Hannah loses the trust of everyone she loves, the only person she feels she can confide in is a former colleague, Darcy, who’s come back into her life—but who may have motives of her own. But Hannah can’t tell even Darcy her deepest secret: that she’s still tormented by the memory of her husband and the crater he carved through her life.
My thoughts:
This book just didn't do it for me at all. I tried hard to like it but it was just not that good to me. It started out strong and I thought it was going to be so good. Then it jumped ahead ten years and started dragging. It seemed to jump around all over the place. It also took way to long to get into the podcast, Conviction. That part was a bit interesting but to me it was also sort of predictable. Not completely but somewhat. 

I did not like any of the characters in this book. I found Hannah to be boring and just not likable at all. Her daughter, Evie,  was ok but just a kid so what do you expect. She was a pretty resilient young lady in parts though. Toward the end I rooted for her to be ok. I kind of liked Dan, but he too was a bit boring. I just could not connect with any of the characters. Not one. That is important in a book for me. 

The plot of this book was good but it just took too long to get there. I was starting to skim through and I don't do that. I ended up finishing it but just didn't like it. I hate when this happens. I know I'm in the minority on this one but have to be honest about my feelings.

Thank you to #NetGalley, #KatieHowe, #stmartin'spress for this ARC. These are my own true thoughts about this book.
2/5 stars for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

  My thoughts This book is not at all what I was hoping for. It's was a first for me by this author and I'm so disappointed.  Parts ...