Saturday, July 20, 2019

WHEN WE BELIEVED IN MERMAIDS by Barbara O’Neal

WHEN WE BELIEVED IN MERMAIDS by Barbara O’Neal

This is one of the most heart wrenching books I have read in a long time. The subjects in this story are so realistic and heartfelt that it had me in gut wrenching tears. Especially toward the end. It’s one that will definitely keep you turning the pages and grabbing the kleenex.

Two sisters who are almost totally dependent on each other. Parents who for the most part are not available for them. A young boy who comes along and keeps them straight. Josie and Kit, the sisters who believe in Mermaids. Who believe in each other. Who have faith in the universe in many ways.
Then one summer it’s all torn apart.

This book will have you torn in ways you will not forget. It’s very realistic the way the author describes the things that happen. A young girl’s anguish. The things that happened to her at such a young and tender age. It’s not right. Children are meant to be happy and carefree. Free to run and play. Explore and live. But for one sister it’s a nightmare. For the other it’s innocence. One has no idea what is happening to the other. Then when they get older one is gone. Gone in such a horrific way. But is she really? Is she safe and sound and finally at peace with her life? Kit looks for her sister after seeing her on the news and finds more than she bargained for. She learns so much in such a short period of time too. Some good and some not so good. Actually a lot not so good but better now.

Josie had to take the chance she took. It basically saved her life. I was very upset with her for a while. Until I read her story. Then my heart broke into a million pieces for that little girl. The little nine year old who went through what no child should have to go through. I felt her pain. I truly felt it. I’ve lived it and know what she felt. The shame of it. The horror of it. It made her into a person she didn’t want to be though. I felt so sorry for her. When she “died” she was able to live again. To build a beautiful life with a beautiful family. One she richly deserved.

Kit didn’t believe in love. Not the soulmate, heart beating fast, earth shattering love that some of us do believe in and do have. It takes a trip far away for her to finally feel the earth move. To feel the waves of desire that touch your very soul. The beauty of true, unspoiled, heartfelt love. The kind of love that only comes once in a lifetime. If you are lucky. She finds so much on this trip and finally finds herself too.

I don’t know what to say other than this is a great book with a heartbreaking and then heart mending feel to it. It’s one that takes the reader on a ride that they will both love and hate. Love the good and the feels, hate the hurt and heartaches. It’s written is a way that pulls at your heart quite a bit. It did for me. My eyes are so swollen from crying. This book may should have a warning label attached.

It has great characters. Great scenery and will make you feel like you are actually on the waves with both Kit and Josie. You will feel so many of the feels in this book. I actually had to lay this book down a few times and breath. Deep breathing to calm me down. It hit me right in the heart. Hard!!

Thank you to #NetGalley #Lake Union Publishers for the ARC of this book.

I give it a high 5 stars and highly recommend it with a warning to stock up on kleenex. I promise you will need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If Something Happens To Me by Ales Finlay

  My thoughts Alex Finlay is one of my favorite authors. This book to me was one of his best. I've enjoyed a few and though I did see wh...