Wednesday, September 15, 2021

THE MOTHER'S FAULT by Nicole Trope

 

I am cooking spaghetti, his favourite, while he plays in the garden. But when I look up, he’s gone. I call the police, my hands shaking so much that I hit the wrong digits twice. ‘My son is missing.’

When the police turn up, I’m trapped in the web of my lies.

I have hidden the truth from eight-year-old Riley, my little boy who loves climbing trees and always has scraped knees. I have hidden my secret from everyone.

Riley knows his father is dead but he has no idea why. He doesn’t know his dad’s real name, and there are no pictures in the house. Not a single person knows what happened eight years ago.

I love my son more than anything but the truth is, I have always feared for him. When the first gift arrived in our mailbox, wrapped in blue paper with silver stars, I realised I was right to be afraid.

Now, I can see the question in the detectives’ eyes. Am I a mother with a missing child or a mother with a lot to hide? I need them to save my son – but how much can I tell them without losing him forever?

A totally gripping psychological thriller that will get your pulse racing like crazy as it hits you with twist after twist after twist! If you loved The Wife Between Us or The Girl on the Train you’ll be utterly glued to this page-turner.

MY THOUGHTS:

This is my first book by Nicole Trope. I will read more by this author.

This book is really good. I did have a few problems but nothing so bad that I didn't want to finish it. One thing that drove me nuts was it was a bit repetitive. Saying the same things over and over. I see this from books but this one had it a lot. Though it didn't really take away from the story, it was a bit aggravating. But again I did like this book. 

Beverly has been raising her son, Riley,  since she was only eighteen years old and she's done a great job. She's a good mother who puts her son first and foremost in everything. She doesn't let him get away with being a brat or being a bad child. He's a typical boy and is very outgoing. He's a bit loud and somewhat disruptive in school but still well loved by his teachers. Even the cleaning lady is crazy about this kid. He's a well rounded and well liked child. Beverly dotes on him as much as she can. But when it comes to relationships she just does not let anyone too close. She has fears and secrets. She's forever afraid that something will come out and she will lose her child and her freedom. So she basically spends most of her time single and alone except for Riley. 

When Riley starts getting gifts in the mailbox he's beyond excited. Someone is sending him neat gifts that really make him happy. But the last gift is quite expensive and his mother does not want to allow him to keep it. But who is sending these? She believes it is her ex, Ethan, who had so many questions about her life and Riley's life. Who exactly is Ethan? 

This book has a whole lot of action and when Riley goes missing it’s a long long day for Beverly. Who could have taken her son and why. Was it a teacher? The new teacher? Could it have possibly been Ethan? And if so why? Because she broke things off and he's angry? Why is he not answering his phone? What does Beverly fear more than anything? There are a lot of questions and a lot of coverups going on. Just when I thought I had this one figured out a new twist surfaced. Where is Riley and why was he taken? 

Most of the characters in this book are so likable. It's filled with a lot of twists and turns and some murders along the way. A lot of secrets that will be revealed and you won't be left wondering about anything. It's not really a tearjerker but is a very tense, hold your breath, thriller. It's one that will hold your interest and have you turning the pages to find out what happens next. To find out who took Riley and why. 

Thank you #NetGalley, #NicoleTrope, #Bookouture for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this book.

3.5/5 stars marked up to 4 stars. I do recommend this one and I hope you enjoy it. It's good.


2 comments:

  1. Great review! I've had my eye on this one, although repetitive aspects would annoy me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      It's well worth reading. The repetitive parts are not awful but I did notice them. It was a lot of NO NO NO or HELP HELP HELP. Things like that but quite often. The story is good and I did not figure out who it was that took the boy. I had a couple of guesses but I was wrong. That does not happen a lot. lol
      If you read it enjoy.
      Have a great day.

      Delete

Summers At The Saint by Mary Kay Andrews

  My thoughts I can't believe this is the first Mary Kay Andrews book I have read. I've seen several and even own two besides this o...