Saturday, August 1, 2020

HIS & HERS by Alice Feeney

There are at least two sides to every story: Yours and mine. Ours and theirs. His and hers. Which means someone is always lying.
We are a species capable of horrific acts, and incapable of learning from the lessons our own history tries to teach us.
The truth is that life broke us, and when we finally acknowledge that we didn’t know how to fix each other, we stopped trying.
You are more than the worst thing you’ve ever done. 
There are at least two sides to every story: yours and mine, ours and theirs, his and hers....

This is hands down my favorite book by Alice Feeney. It pulled me in from the very first and didn’t disappoint anywhere throughout. It was told with such passion and beauty even though it’s a dark thriller that will keep you on edge and wondering who did it. I thought I had it all figured out but was in for a huge shock. Every guess I made was so wrong and that hardly ever happens. This book is great. Best of this series. Hands down the best book by this author.

This book is about a lot of things, mainly murder. The murder of someone that Anna, who is a reporter, went to school with. Who at one time was her best friend. Anna was raised by her mother who did everything she could for her after Anna’s dad left them. She worked hard to make things better for Anna. Anna didn’t always appreciate the things her mum did for her though. She just didn’t understand. Not until she became a mum herself. Even then she didn’t go see her mum like she should have. She had a busy life as a reporter and didn’t want to return to Blackdown for anyone. It held bad memories for Anna.

Jack, Anna’s ex husband, was the DCI on the case of Rachel, who was murdered. He lives with demons of his own and is surprised when Anna is the one covering the story of the woman killed in the woods. Things are not great for Jack. He’s living with his sister and her little girl and it’s not the best relationship. But he does the best he can. He’s never truly got over his love for Anna. He’s helped her mother who is suffering from dementia and tries to tell Anna how bad things are. Jack is a good man and you will root for him throughout this story. Almost always. 

This book is told from three different people. Anna, Jack and the murder. You will have many guesses but my guess is you will know figure it out. This is really a very twisted story that takes you places you won’t soon forget. The trip through the woods. It’s so realistic you will feel as if you are there. In the depths of the underbrush. The darkness that is common in thick groves of trees. The many twists and turns. From the young girls to the older women who know these woods well. 

I really did like almost all the characters in this book. Some more than others. I felt for some very deeply. My heart went out to them. Some I honestly wanted to smack hard. I didn’t like a few of them at all. Overall though you will root for most to make it. There are some twist that you probably won’t see coming.

I received an audio of this book and though I did love the voices on it, I had bought a paperback copy and read it from there. I’m not good at listening to books. I would much rather read it for myself. It was narrated excellently though for anyone that loves audio. You won’t be disappointed.

Thank you to #NetGalley#AliceFeeney#Flatironbooks for the audio of this story. This is my own review.

I had to give this a 5/5 stars and the highest recommendation. Grab it, read it, live it... if you dare.

1 comment:

  1. We seem to like the same books. This one is on hold in the library for me. 6 week wait but from your review looks like it is well worth the wait. I like audio books so that’s what I rent from the library thinking most people prefer books, but guess I still have to wait. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

If Something Happens To Me by Ales Finlay

  My thoughts Alex Finlay is one of my favorite authors. This book to me was one of his best. I've enjoyed a few and though I did see wh...