Wednesday, August 19, 2020

LITTLE DISASTERS by Sarah Vaughan

 

 
This book started out strong and seemed to be one that I was going to really enjoy. Though it is not a thriller in any sense of the word, it is a mystery/women’s fiction. The writing is very well developed and the characters are all pretty likable. My problem is that it started dragging and didn’t pick back up until close to the end. This book could have been cut down and really been so good. It has great promise but way to much detail. I don’t usually say anything negative about a book but this one in my opinion needs it. It’s really a good story but just way to much detail. I understand you have to know all the characters and their background stories, but this one went a bit to far. It took away from this story. It’s a good story but needs to be a bit less. Sometimes less is more.


This story starts out with a woman losing her mind because her newborn baby won’t stop crying. She’s tried everything and nothing seems to work. It then goes right into the story of four women. One, Liz, works at the hospital in the UK as a Pediatrician doctor. The setting is 2018 and it’s a cold January night. She’s called to the ER to check on a baby girl who was brought in. When Liz finds out who the baby is she is a bit concerned. Jess is a wonderful mother who dotes on her children. She’s a good person and would never do anything to harm her children. She has two boys and this baby girl, Betsey. After checking Betsey Liz concludes that there is trauma to the back of her skull and wants more tests. She questions Jess about it by Jess is very vague in her answers.  After finding that Betsey has a fractured skull she tries to get Jess to tell her something. Anything to explain how this happened. She finally has no choice but to call children’s services. 

Jess is a wonderful mother but also one who needs sleep. With a baby and two older boys she is running on fumes. When her husband, Ed, finds Betsey in her crib crying and sees she has vomited he becomes very concerned. He insists Jess take her to the ER right away. Jess is very afraid of what is going to happen. Is her baby girl going to be ok or is something terribly wrong. She’s having thoughts that scare her also. Like what if she hurts her baby. She is suffering with postpartum depression and doesn’t know it. No one does. She keeps her feelings in, afraid to tell anyone the sinister thoughts that come to her mind.

There are several characters in this book and none see that Jess has any problems. Not even her best friend, Liz. Either they are not paying much attention or Jess is able to hide her postpartum from them all. Even her husband. Everyone thinks she is the perfect mother. Until she takes Betsey to the hospital. Then it seems they all have something to say. Typical of a group of women I believe. Instead of standing up for their friend they think the worst. 

While this is going on there is another side story going on. It’s about Liz’s mother and another baby girl. It’s easy to follow but to me unnecessary to this story. It’s interesting but still I could have done without it. It didn’t seem to attribute to the story except to shed some light on Liz’s life, though I still don’t understand what the baby had to do with it. Just another story of a baby I guess. It would be a good start to another book. I’m sorry but it just didn’t help me at all. 

The friends could have been there for Jess during this awful time. Most thought she was a great mom but when asked they sure loves putting their two cents worth in about things. Even Liz seemed a bit evasive about Liz. She was very close to the mom and baby so she had to step back but still... I did love who Liz finally got to the root of what happened and then another twist is thrown in that to me was just unbelievable. I can’t believe any child would do what the main on in this story did or said. When afraid most children do whatever it takes to make things better. That is my opinion and I didn’t believe how things played out about what really did happen. It was just to out there. Like it was thrown in to keep the story going.

Thank you #NetGalley, #SarahVaugh, #Atriabooks for this ARC. This is my own feelings and review.

I gave it 3/5 stars and say read if for yourself. You may see something I didn’t and may love it. It’s a good story, just to much about each character for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If Something Happens To Me by Ales Finlay

  My thoughts Alex Finlay is one of my favorite authors. This book to me was one of his best. I've enjoyed a few and though I did see wh...