Friday, August 28, 2020

A LIFE WITHOUT FLOWERS by Marci Bolden

 

 

This is the second book in a series. It's a heart wrenching story that continues where the first book, A Life Without Water, ended. A woman, Carol, who has lost so much. She's endured more tragedy than any one person should have too. The pain of losing a child is enough to send a person over the edge. Add to that the loss of two husbands and a childhood filled with lack of caring and understanding from her parents and you have a woman who could be at her breaking point. Carol went on a road trip in the first book with her ex-husband to try and put the past to rest and to make peace with him over the loss of their daughter. She had also lost her second husband who was the true love of her life to an accident that she partly blames herself for. 

Carol now is trying to make peace with her mother and learn how to forgive her father. Her dad was a man who pushed her to always do better. No matter how good she did things it was not enough for him. He wanted nothing less than perfection. My opinion is she was way to forgiving of both of her parents. She was a child when they pushed her most of the time. She wasn't allowed to have a childhood like other children. Through interactions with others is how she would learn to grow. To be a wife, mother and daughter. But they didn't allow it. She was made to practice everything that her dad wanted her to do until she had it to perfection. I would not forgive him even in death. I would not have been so eager to forgive the mother either. It's ok to make peace but her mom allowed the things to happen. She never took up for Carol and never treated her like a normal child. I loved her in-laws. Her mother in law from her second marriage is more than just a friend. She's a mom that Carol never had. She gives her great advice. I really liked her so much.

This story is very sad in places and will make you weep. It goes back to the first book a lot and talks about the things that happened in the past that got Carol to where she is now. The many losses. The fears. The loves. All the things that she needs to find a place for and to be able to move on. I recommend you do read the first book or in my opinion you will be a tad lost in this one. Or at least you will truly appreciate this one way more if you read the first one. I strongly recommend that you do.

This book had great characters. You will feel their loves and losses. The scenes are exceptional and draw you right in. The story is sad in so many places. When it goes back to the past you feel the pain that Carol feels. The tears will flow not doubt. It's a great story though. It will keep you wanting to read. You will want to know how she deals with everything. If she forgives her dad and mom. If she can make peace with the loss of her child. 

There is another book coming in this series. It will be the final I believe. Will Carol find closure for all and be able to move on with her life? Will she find happiness in a world of pain and hurt? She sure should. She deserves it completely. Time for her to take "one step at a time."

Thank you #NetGalley, #PinkSandsPublishers, #MarciBolden for this ARC. This is my own review.

A 4/5 stars and a high recommendation.

7 comments:

  1. Great review.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like the home I grew up in. But I did distance myself from that. Looking forward to reading this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a troubled home also. Not like this one though. Mine was very abusive. Sorry you had to go through that.
    This is a good book. Some parts are very emotional. If you read the first one you’ll remember and see a few new things.

    Thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Laura.
      I have not forgot you yet. I've been so busy trying to catch up. I've got to stop stressing over this virus and my new laptop and get busy reading today.
      Thank you so much for the comment and for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. The foremost invaluable text with this invaluable subject which can be that comes with the web based... florarie cluj

    ReplyDelete

If Something Happens To Me by Ales Finlay

  My thoughts Alex Finlay is one of my favorite authors. This book to me was one of his best. I've enjoyed a few and though I did see wh...