Friday, August 27, 2021

WHERE I LEFT HER by Amber Garza

 

From the author of When I Was You comes a spine-tingling new thriller about a mother’s worst nightmare come true, when her teenage daughter goes to a sleepover and doesn’t come back.

Whitney had some misgivings when she dropped her increasingly moody teenage daughter, Amelia, off at Lauren’s house. She’d never met the parents, and usually she’d go in, but Amelia clearly wasn’t going to let something so humiliating happen, so instead Whitney waved to her daughter before pulling away from the little house with the roses in front.

But when she goes back the next day, an elderly couple answers the door—Amelia and Lauren aren’t there, and this couple swears they never were, that she’s at the wrong house. As Whitney searches for Amelia, she uncovers a trail of lies her daughter has told her—from the Finsta account to rumors of a secret relationship. Does she really even know this girl she’s raised? And Amelia’s not the only one with secrets. Could Whitney’s own demons have something to do with her daughter’s disappearance, and can Whitney find her before it’s too late?

MY THOUGHTS:

I really enjoyed this book. I think it had all the things I like in a thriller. It kept me wanting to know what was going on. Except I did figure out part of what Whitney did. Not all of it though. But that just didn't take away from the story for me. 

This is a very complex book about a mother/daughter. With a back story of two best friends. When Whitney's daughter, Amelia, goes missing things take a somewhat dark turn. Secrets begin to come out. Things that should have been kept in the past are found out. But are they true? Did it really happen the way it's explained? This book really kept me turning the pages and had me guessing about a lot of things. 

I did enjoy this book. Both the story of Amelia going missing and the back story of Whitney's life. The things that happened in Whitney's life were awful in so many ways. Her friendship with Millie. It was not as great as it appeared to me. It seemed like Millie was trouble waiting to happen. Whitney just wanted to be accepted completely and to not be replaced by anyone. Not even Millie's boyfriend. But friendships are not always as tight as they seem. For reasons that only they know things can go wrong. 

This story is about loss. Loss of a child. Worry. Worrying about whether your child is safe. Wondering if she is going to be ok. If you will ever see her again. It brings out the emotions you know you will feel when it comes to a teen who is missing. The fears you will have. Is someone doing horrible things to my child. Is she safe... 

I enjoyed this book even though I did figure out what Whitney did. Not all of it, but the big part. Maybe the author meant for that to happen. I have no idea. But I did enjoy it so that is a big plus. It's very well written. Most of the characters are very likable and the plot kept me turning the pages. The scenes make you feel like you are there. In the apartment. In the cemetery. On the road. You feel the pain of a mother. It's told from the present and the back story of Whitney's life before Amelia. Before Dan. When she was best friends with Millie.... 

Thank you #NetGalley, #AmberGarza, #Harlequin for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this book.

4/5 stars and I do recommend you read it. It's good.


6 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't wait to read this book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FAB review AGAIN!! 😊

    Glad it was a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      It was. I enjoyed this one.
      Have a nice weekend my friend.

      Delete
  3. Great review - looks like we're on the same page with this book.

    ReplyDelete

Granite Harbor by Peter Nichols

  My Thoughts I've had a lot of firsts this year. First time reads that is. Another new to me author that I will be looking out for. Thi...