Thursday, July 29, 2021

LIE BESIDE ME by Gytha Lodge

 

He’s lying next to you. He’s not breathing. . . . And the killer might have been you.

Detective Chief Inspector Jonah Sheens is on the trail in this explosive crime novel from the acclaimed author of She Lies in Wait and Watching from the Dark.

“Secrets and self-sabotage abound in this gripping psychological thriller.”—The Guardian

Louise wakes up. Her head aches, her mouth is dry, her memory is fuzzy—but she suspects she’s done something bad.

She rolls over toward her husband, Niall. The man who, until recently, made her feel loved.

But it’s not Niall lying beside her. In fact, she’s never seen this man before.

And he’s not breathing. . . .

As Louise desperately struggles to piece her memories back together, it’s clear to Jonah Sheens and his team that she is their prime suspect—though they soon find she’s not the only one with something to hide.

Did she do it? And, if not, can they catch the real killer before they strike again?

In this gripping novel, a young woman finds that trying to make sense of her life’s bad choices might prove the most dangerous reckoning there is.

MY THOUGHTS: 

While I really enjoyed this book and it did keep me on the edge quite a bit, I also found it to be very unbelievable. I could not connect with any of the characters at all. That still did not make it a bad book though. I think what I really disliked about this one was the fact that the main character was a drunk who certainly never learned a thing from getting drunk. After blacking out repeatedly and almost getting killed or raped she just kept right on with the drinking. Drunk Louise... I despised her. She was in my opinion a phony. I did not like her. At least her best friend, April, was honest. To a point anyway. 

This book is very well written and it definitely will keep you turning the pages. It's edge of your seat and makes you want to know why a man was murdered in a woman's bed. It  gives you lots of emotions and makes you feel as though you are there in so many scenes. It's overall a good book. Just not believable to me. I did not like anyone. Well I may have to take that back. There was one person. I liked the female detective and how she handled things. She had a story of her own going on through this book and it was great. I loved how she thought. How she got ahead of things and finally took care of herself. I liked her. 

I very much disliked Niall. He was so hung up on his ex that he could not see what was going on in his marriage. Why marry one woman if you are so in love with another? Makes no sense to me. Maybe circumstances made things the way they were. I just didn't like him at all. Not even at the end. I just didn't. He was a bit of a self righteous punk. My opinion of him is very low. 

This story is told in two ways. One being Louise dealing with her marriage via letters to her husband. The other the person actually telling this story. The author if you will. Louise's letter to her husband seems to be very heartfelt and honest. I believe she truly loves the jerk. I believe she will make him a good wife. If she will stop drinking. I like finding out some of April's background and knowing what made her the way she was. That was very interesting.

Overall I will say that this is a good story. Well written and keeps you on your toes. Though I found it very much in many places unbelievable it was what it was. The two Louise's are what made me doubt the story. She talked about sober Louise and drunk Louise a bit to much for me. But it was till worth reading and I will give it it's due.

Thank you #netgalley, #GythaLodge, #Randomhousepublishinggroup for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this book.

4/5 stars and I do recommend you read it. You will like it I'm sure. 


2 comments:

  1. I have had my eye on this one, but now I'm not sure. Great review, though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good. Well worth reading. It's just the characters are almost all horrible people. lol But I am very glad I read it. I hate to be the reason you don't give it a try.

      Thanks for stopping by.
      Have a great weekend.

      Delete

Granite Harbor by Peter Nichols

  My Thoughts I've had a lot of firsts this year. First time reads that is. Another new to me author that I will be looking out for. Thi...