Sunday, July 11, 2021

ALL THE LITTLE HOPES by Leah Weiss

 

A Southern story of friendship forged by books and bees, when the timeless troubles of growing up meet the murky shadows of World War II.

Deep in the tobacco land of North Carolina, nothing's been the same since the boys shipped off to war and worry took their place. Thirteen-year-old Lucy Brown is precocious and itching for adventure. Then Allie Bert Tucker wanders into town, an outcast with a puzzling past, and Lucy figures the two of them can solve any curious crime they find—just like her hero, Nancy Drew.

Their chance comes when a man goes missing, a woman stops speaking, and an eccentric gives the girls a mystery to solve that takes them beyond the ordinary. Their quiet town, seasoned with honeybees and sweet tea, becomes home to a Nazi prisoner-of-war camp. More men go missing. And together, the girls embark on a journey to discover if we ever really know who the enemy is.

Lush with Southern atmosphere, All The Little Hopes is the story of two girls growing up as war creeps closer, blurring the difference between what's right, what's wrong, and what we know to be true.


MY THOUGHTS: 


This was a very endearing book. A story of family. Even though not related by blood they were family where it counted. Two young girls who became the best of friends in North Carolina in 1943 during WWII. It is part historical and part mystery with a little bit of a thriller and love story thrown in. It's one that will keep you wanting more and turning pages. You will have a few guesses as to what happened or who did it along with rooting for these girls. There is a touch of child abuse and an almost rape. Not to the point of feeling it though. It's just there. 

I truly enjoyed this book so much. It was a very moving story of a family who had so much and lost a lot too. Of two families actually. When Bert is sent to her aunt's to live and possibly help her out with her pregnancy little does she know that she is about to start a journey that will take her from one side of the state to another. From a very meager and poor life to one filled with riches. Not necessarily monetary riches either. The riches of a family she never dreamed she would or could be a part of. The day she meets Lucy is the luckiest day of her life. The two of them at only thirteen years of age set off on an adventure that will make you truly laugh out loud one moment and weep the next. The things they go through and the things they do together set them up for a lifetime of great memories. 

This book is told from each girls POV. Each girl has strong opinions and wants to be heard. They have fights but never swing a punch. They tend to go very quiet toward each other if mad. But it never lasts long. They are both strong even though Bert has to learn she is. She has to learn that she is worthy. With Lucy's help they are unstoppable. Lucy's parents take Bert into their home and make her a part of their family when she has nowhere else to turn. Her Aunt Violet threw her out and she went to the Brown's home where their dad found her curled up sleeping on the front porch during a bad storm. They take her in and give her more love than she ever thought possible. She soon comes to call them mom and dad. With all the children as her siblings she will never be lonely again. But what of her real family? I won't tell. Read and find out.

This book has some things that I never knew written into it. I never knew that there were POW camps in North Carolina for German soldiers to be kept. I never knew that they worked for the local farmers in the area either. I always learn something when I read. 

This book is full of feels. There was times when I literally laughed out loud. Then in a few pages I would shed tears. I would see the beauty in the stars. Or the way Lucy saw the mountains for the first time. The ones that Bert hated. You feel like you are right there in this story. All the feels and all the scenery are excellently told. This book was well written for sure. The recipes in the end and the reading group guide were great. The conversation with the author and the How This Book Came To Be sections were very interesting. It's a great all around book. One I believe anyone will enjoy.

Thank you #NetGalley, #LeahWeiss, #SOURCEBOOKSlandmark for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this book.

5/5 big stars and I look forward to more by this author. I highly recommend this one.


2 comments:

  1. It is interesting to learn new things from our books! I actually saw some Japanese POW camps next to my grandmother's farm in the mid 1940s! I was a little kid then.

    They left a big impression on me!

    Thanks for sharing, and I am adding this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very good book.
      I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
      I never knew there was POW camps in the U.S. That was news to me and I love when I learn things from books I read.

      I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
      Have a great week!

      Delete

Granite Harbor by Peter Nichols

  My Thoughts I've had a lot of firsts this year. First time reads that is. Another new to me author that I will be looking out for. Thi...