Sunday, July 4, 2021

THE CHILDREN'S SECRET by Nina Monroe

 

In the vein of Big Little Lies, Nina Monroe's suspense debut explores the dangerous side of suburbia.

Nothing ever happens in a sleepy town like Middlebrook. Until the residents are shaken to their core, when one hot Saturday afternoon, at a back-to-school party, nine children sneak into a barn...and only eight come out unharmed.

The press immediately starts asking questions. What type of parents let their children play unsupervised in a house with guns? What kind of child pulls the trigger on their friend? And most importantly: of the nine children who were present in that barn, which one actually pulled the trigger, and why are the others staying silent?

Incredibly gripping and gorgeously written, this thought-provoking novel asks how much our children are capable of, and how far we will go to protect them.

MY THOUGHTS:

I would like to say that I personally really enjoyed this book. Yes it was a touchy subject. It was about children. It was about a child being shot. Is that America... Yes it is. Guns are out of control in America. I say America because that is the setting of this book. It should be addressed that gun control is almost none existent in this country. Just about anyone can buy a gun. To say such horrible and vile things about this book though to me is uncalled for. The author did a fine job. Yes it was a bit repetitive in places but good grief look at the subject matter. She had to make the parents feel shocked. Torn apart. Afraid. Especially Priscilla. And Kaitlin.

While I can not relate to these parents, thank goodness, I did feel for them. My heart bled for them. It was agonizing to read the torture they were all going through. I didn't much like Pricilla, but I did feel for her. I didn't like a couple of the characters but I did feel for them. I felt they were portrayed with as much reality as humanly possible. That they were written with true feeling and that there was heart in this book. It was a touchy subject matter that needs to be addressed here in America. Something needs to be done. But that is not all this book is about. It's about acceptance too. Accepting people from all walks of life. People who came here from other countries. The prejudices that we have in this country against anyone that is considered different. It's a shame, but it's real. It happens.

This book in my opinion was well written. It had its  faults but it was still a good story. I believe it had enough great parts to overlook any faults and it was an ARC so there is that. This book was written with heart. With passion. With beliefs. I felt it in every way. I felt the fears from the parents. From the children. It was sad. It was typical for children to stand together. But I was surprised that at least one didn't vary off and tell what really happened. There is usually one that will crack. These friends stuck together throughout the story. Not so with the parents but they were somewhat at fault. Though I do believe that the person who own this gun did everything in their power to keep everyone safe, it backfired. It was still used. Things can happen no matter how careful you are. This story proves it.

Thank you to #netgalley, #ninamonroe, #crookedlanebooks for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this book.

I gave it 4/5 stars and stand by that. I recommend you read it. It will bring out some feelings. I liked this book!



2 comments:

Mailbox Monday

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week ************ Warning:  Mailbox Mon...