Thursday, November 7, 2019

TRUELUCK SUMMER by Susan Gabriel

I actually read this wonderful book a few years ago. I have no idea why I didn’t post a review but here it is now.

This was a very fun book. It was funny and series. It was a true Southern Fiction book that keeps you turning the pages throughout. I loved how the children got along and interacted during a time when racism was at it’s worse. Ida Trueluck is Trudy’s grandmother. She came to live with her son and his family even though she would much rather have stayed where she was. Trudy’s best friend Velvet are inseparable and do almost everything together. When Trudy is almost hit by a bread truck a black boy,  Paris, saves her life. They become instant friends. They go through many adventures together but one that could land them all in trouble for sure is to take down the Confederate flag that flies atop the South Carolina State House... Can they do this? Will Ida help? If she doesn’t they sure can’t do it alone.

This book is such a good one and will take you deep into the heart of Southern racism and understanding. The friendships between children and the innocence and caring of children toward each other. It’s a book that will definitely make you believe that things can get better. It’s a very good read. One you won’t forget. Through all the ups and downs these children go through you will laugh, shout, get angry and shed tears. Overall it’s truly a heart touching story of a summer of learning.

I loved this book so much.
It’s a huge 5 star read and made me want more of Susan Gabriel’s books. I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

  My thoughts This book is not at all what I was hoping for. It's was a first for me by this author and I'm so disappointed.  Parts ...