Sunday, November 3, 2019

ALL ABOUT EVIE by Cathy Lamb

This is my very favorite book by Cathy Lamb. It’s such a good and magical book. Of all her books, even ones I have yet to read, I can’t imagine any being better.

This book is so full of love. It’s full of so much laughter and so so many tears. It’s telling basically two stories at once in a way. One set in the 70s and the other years later. The story of Evie and her mom, aunts and sister. Then the story of Betsy, Johnny and the daughter they had to let go of. The hell they lived in for loving each other enough to do anything for the other. Johnny’s little sister, Tilly, who was so sweet and also went through so much as did Johnny, at the hands of their horrible, awful, mean, cruel, sick, crazy dad.

This book had me laughing so hard on one page then crying my eyes out on the next. It is truly a beautiful yet sad and happy story of love, loss and finding again something you need more than anything else in the world. What Johnny and his sister went through with their dad was beyond horrible. He was the meanest man I have read about in ages. How can any parent be so cruel to their flesh and blood?

Betsy loved Johnny more than anyone in her life. She had what in my opinion were the worst parents ever. Her dad was a “preacher” and her mother a sorry excuse for a human being. Now if you have read this you may think she had no choice but I beg to differ. I would have died before a man would have hurt my child like he did Betsy. He was beyond cruel. He was one crazy bible thumping hypocrite who needed to be beat to death.

Evie had wonderful parents and a sister who was her best friend. She also had premonitions that left her anxious and depressed. Sometimes she could stop something tragic from happening and at other times there was nothing she could do to stop things. She lived in guilt thinking she had let her best friend down. Her friend from school. Evie’s family lost their dad and husband in the war so it was just the mother, Poppy, and the aunts Iris and Camellia and Jules. Jules is a character herself. The funniest are the mom and aunts. They will have you rolling with laughter. But Evie’s life is not so cut and dry either. She’s madly in love with Marco the town vet but because of a premonition she won’t go out with him. She loves him from afar.

There are many animals in this story and you will love them all. Their stories of how Evie rescued them will bring you to tears also but knowing they are happy and so well loved will make your heart swell with joy. One story truly broke my heart so bad but it had to be told and it was in it’s way beautiful.

This book is written so perfectly. Filled with such emotion. Gives you so much love, laughter, sadness and many tears. The characters are so wonderful and lovable, with the exception of one jerk who you will hate terribly bad. At least I did. You’ll know who he is when you meet him.

This is a laugh out loud, cry ugly tears book. It will keep you turning the pages wanting more and more of each story. It’s told from Evie’s story and from Betsy’s story. Both have so much heartache and so much love. This is a wonderful book even through the tears. I absolutely positively am happy I read it.

Thank you to #NetGalley and #Kensington for this truly awesome book.

It’s a 5 star book from me and I most highly recommend it to everyone who loves a good laugh, cry and a touch of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

  My thoughts This book is not at all what I was hoping for. It's was a first for me by this author and I'm so disappointed.  Parts ...