Sunday, May 29, 2022

NEVER COMING HOME by Hannah Mary McKinnon

 

First comes love. Then comes murder.

Lucas Forester didn't hate his wife. Michelle was brilliant, sophisticated, and beautiful. Sure, she had extravagant spending habits and that petty attitude, a total disregard for anyone below her status. But she also had a lot to offer. Most notably, wealth that only the one percent could comprehend.

For years, Lucas had been honing a flawless plan to inherit Michelle’s fortune. Unfortunately, it involved taking a hit out on her.

Every track was covered, no trace left behind, and now Lucas plays the grieving husband so well he deserves an award. But when a shocking photo and cryptic note show up on his doorstep, Lucas goes from hunter to prey.

Someone is onto him. And they’re closing in.

Told with dark wit and a sharply feminist sensibility, Never Coming Home is a terrifying tale of duplicity that will have you side-eyeing your spouse as you dash to the breathtaking end.

I was born in the UK and grew up in Switzerland. Unsurprisingly I love chocolate, mountains and cheese, and books, of course.


When I moved to Canada with my husband and three sons in 2010 I went through an (early) mid-life crisis. Maybe it was the failed attempt at a start-up company, but one morning I decided to follow my oldest passion; writing - and never looked back.

My first novel, TIME AFTER TIME, a light-hearted romantic read, was published by HarperCollins AVON in 2016. I subsequently moved over to the dark side. THE NEIGHBORS, a domestic suspense story, was published by MIRA in 2018 followed by bestsellers HER SECRET SON, SISTER DEAR (also published in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa), and YOU WILL REMEMBER ME, which was on the bestseller lists for 8 weeks.

NEVER COMING HOME features Lucas, my most wicked and funniest character, releases on May 24, 2022. I'm now working on books 7, 8, and 9 for 2023 and 2024, which include the holiday rom com THE CHRISTMAS WAGER (working title) under the pseudonym Holly Cassidy.

To find out more please visit:
www.HannahMaryMcKinnon.com
Twitter - @HannahMMcKinnon
Instagram - @HannahMaryMcKinnon
Facebook - ww.facebook.com/hannahmarymckinnon
Bookbub - www.bookbub.com/authors/hannah-mary-m...

MY THOUGHTS 

This is the darkest book I have read in a long time. Definitely the darkest by this author. 
It's told by the villain's point of view from start to dramatic finish. And believe me it has a great ending.

I kept trying to figure out all the way through this book who "Woods" was. Could he be someone we have met or just a random stranger. Is he the one who is freaking Lucas out or is he again just a random stranger. This book will keep you on the edge all the way through. Keep you wondering what is going on and who is doing what to whom. I did figure out a bit of it but I'm sure that is from reading mostly thrillers over so many years. I was shocked in so many places too and it's a great story. It's one you can see playing out as you read it. It was like watching a movie in many ways. I could actually feel the raindrops falling while speeding through the dark wet streets. The trees swaying while running through the woods. The dank stench of a cabin long deserted. Left to rot. Feel the wet earth below my nails as someone dug it up. The fear of seeing things that should not be happening. Wondering who is doing it. There are several people you can choose from too. But it's not exactly easy to figure out who is doing what and when. 

I did not like Lucas at all. I did feel sorry for the young Lucas. After all he went through as a kid and a teen and getting involved with a crook, I can see why he turned out the way he did. After he sees what happened to his father, yes I can see it. I felt sorry for that kid. But the grown man no. He was the most conniving cold hearted person I have read about in ages. He wanted something and did all he could to get it. He was very greedy though and that greed may mess him up at times. He says he does hate his wife. But he never says he loved her at all. He didn't want her tortured. Maybe he had a tiny little piece of a heart in there somewhere. Maybe. 

All the pieces fall in line and gives you an answer that you won't expect. It's great. It had me holding my breath. It made me smile. Honestly I was so thrilled with how the author made this one play out. And that ending... It was priceless. You'll use your imagination there also. Just imagine what happens. I loved it. Lucas reminds me of someone that I personally knew except for the dark web and the murder for hire part. The conniving. The using. The plotting. All of those things are Lucas. The title fits this book perfectly too. And that cover is gorgeous.

Thank you #NetGalley, #HannahMaryMcKinnon, #Harlequin for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts about this book.

5/5 HUGE stars and a high recommendation. You will love this one.


7 comments:

  1. I am reading this one now, and I can't put it down! I finally stopped last night so I could sleep, but now I'm picking it up again. I can't wait to see what happens. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      It just keeps getting better.
      Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Wow. Great review. Now I've got to sneak this one into my ridiculously long TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.
      I have a ridiculously long TBR also and am starting one that was given to me by an author I really enjoy. It’s an arc that has not even gone to publish yet. I’m a bit nervous about that though his books have never disappointed me.

      Delete
    2. I hate this new anonymous thing.

      Delete
  3. Excellent review. Fab book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I believe I know who posted this but am not positive. lol

      Delete

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

  My thoughts I'm really enjoying this series so much. This is the third book and it's even better than the last one. I never though...