Saturday, February 12, 2022

SECRETS OF OUR HOUSE by Rea Frey

 

A thrilling domestic drama set against the power of the wilderness, Rea Frey's Secrets of Our House is a deeply-felt novel of long-held secrets and the strength of family.

Desi is the mastermind behind her dream getaway house. Nestled high into the mountains of North Carolina, it is a sleek place, a luxurious place, a dark place.

A place full of secrets.

Secrets about the man she longs for, a man who is not her husband. Secrets about the roots of her family that must never, ever, see the light of day. When Desi and her family arrive from Chicago to spend the summer in the mountains, the seeds for the tumultuous months to follow are planted—her marriage on the rocks, not knowing which way they’ll go. Her seventeen year-old daughter Jules, falling in love for the first time with a local boy—and forging a new path that will take her to uncharted places. And Carter—a man Desi knew long ago, before she expunged him from her life for good.

All hurtling toward events none of them can undo.

Engaging, propulsive, and with a dramatic, heart-pounding final act, Secrets of Our House is a dazzling novel, richly-drawn, that shows no matter how hard outside forces may shake you, the bonds of family are stronger than the harshest winds.

MY THOUGHTS
I've read a couple of this author's books and loved them. I enjoyed this one but it fell just a bit short. The reason being, I didn't like the main character, Desi or her husband, Peter. I also didn't like the friend, Carter. I did however love Jules who is Desi and Peter's daughter, Will, who is Jules's boyfriend and Tommy who is Desi's brother and Peter's best friend. Those three had it more together. Will's parents, who was in the story a bit, I also loved. 

This book is told from Desi and Jules perspective. Alternating between the two. Desi is a bit overbearing and comes across and a strong woman who puts her business above all else. Yet I saw her truly as a weak woman who didn't do the right thing early on. She should have followed her heart instead of money. I say money because that is what I got from her. She went for the money. 

Jules is a young lady who falls in love and knows deep inside what she wants. She's a survivalist who was taught early on how to get by by Peter and Tommy. She's very smart and self-assured. Until something happens to turn her world upside down. 

Will is a pilot and in love with Jules. He's a good young man and cares about people wholeheartedly. When he loses his mother it seems his life spirals out of control. He does things without thinking first. Listens to the wrong person. But he's a good one. He's really a good person.

This book had a few surprises though one I did figure out fairly early on. It came as no surprise to me at all. It did however make me a bit sad. She should have told someone. I won't say who or what just that she should have. 

When people lose their perspective it seems that a lot of others can be hurt deeply. You lose your way too. I don't think Desi should have taken the road she did but it made the story so it was meant to be. The description of The Black House made me feel as though I was standing in the driveway looking right at it. The deep snow felt cold to my bones. The accident made me cringe. It also made me cry bit ugly fat tears. I felt like I was there so that made up for anything that I didn't like in this story. 

Well written and told in a way that makes you feel lots of emotions. This author has a way of making you feel what the characters feel even if you don't like some of them. I felt Desi's loneliness and heartache. Peter's sadness and shock. Jules pain of losing something so important to her. Will's, well his all. He lost a lot and I felt so bad for him. 

Thank you #NetGalley, #ReaFrey, #StMartinsPress for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this book.

4/5 stars and I do recommend it. It's good. You'll need some tissues so be prepared.


4 comments:

  1. Very nice, thoughtful review, Linda.

    I didn’t like it as much as you did….thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I'm sorry you didn't like it. It happens though.
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Nice review that makes me want to try it, having enjoyed the author before...but I hope to like one or more characters in a story to make it good for me. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I'm sure you will like Jules, Will and Tommy. They are so good. It's just Desi and Peter that I found annoying. Desi mostly. She's very selfish in so many ways. Kind of condescending.

      Delete

Disturbing The Dead by Kelley Armstrong

  My thoughts I usually don't read many time travel books but these have been so good. This author has go beyond the realm of what my im...