Sunday, November 7, 2021

THE SECOND MARRIAGE by Jess Ryder

 

They’re lying,’ my little stepson whispers, his blue eyes shining with tears as I tuck him into bed for the first time. ‘They think I’ve forgotten, but I remember everything. I know my mummy is still alive.’

My best friend warned me that it was too soon to marry Edward, a widower with an adorable but troubled little boy. She said we were moving too fast. But all I could see was a kind, loving man, struggling with grief, who needed my help.

Yet as storm clouds gather above our small wedding ceremony, my hopes and dreams fall apart. None of my husband’s family turn up to support us. Instead of a honeymoon, we have a quiet night in. My wedding bouquet is placed on his first wife’s grave. And then my new stepson tells me he’s sure his mother is still alive.

What does Noah remember and why is his father trying to make him forget? Have I been completely wrong about my husband? What happened to the woman who came before me, and how far will he go to stop me finding out the truth?

An utterly unputdownable, gripping, twisty psychological thriller, perfect for fans of Before I Go To SleepThe Girl on the Train and Gone Girl.

What everyone is saying about The Second Marriage:

‘Sweet JESUS what a storyHoly smokes I was NOT prepared. This was incredibly great.’ Read with K8, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

WOW! Just WOWGobsmacked by the twist!! really, really, really good. I raced through this brilliant, twist filled book. It was completely engrossing, impossible to put down and the twist floored me…The plot was brilliant and consistent throughout, it's an unputdownable psychological thrill ride.’ Goodreads reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Author Bio:


Jess Ryder is the pseudonym of Jan Page, author, screenwriter, playwright and award-winning television producer.  After many years working in children’s media, she has recently embarked on a life of crime.  Writing, that is. So she’s very excited about the publication of her debut thriller Lie to Me. Her other big love is making pots.


Links


https://www.facebook.com/JessRyderAuthor/

https://twitter.com/jessryderauthor


Buy Links:

Amazon: https://bit.ly/3ml6afI

Apple: https://apple.co/2UHA96j

Kobo: https://bit.ly/3sGKJXZ

Google: https://bit.ly/3vPOhbJ


Audible:

UK: zpr.io/zYVumNhwhaFg

US: zpr.io/QnhhkAqXPdWD

Listen to a sample here:

https://soundcloud.com/bookouture/the-second-marriage-by-jess-ryder-narrated-by-rosamund-hine


My thoughts

From the very first page to the very last this book held me captive. It's well written and very thrilling. It's so full of twists and turns you won't know what hit you until it hits. 

Lily becomes a homeschool teacher to a young boy who has not been to a real school. He's not done much of anything that other children do. His dad, Edward, is very protective of him. He warns Lily to never mention mothers to Noah as it makes him very anxious. His mother left when he was very young and he doesn't know what happened to her. But does he really? Could he have memories of her? Is she trying to reach him? Is he safe?

Lily married Edward fairly fast and becomes Noah's stepmum. All is good until she starts asking questions. Questions Edward doesn't want her asking. Seems he has a few secrets. He has two daughters from his first marriage who are barely accepting of the marriage. But Lily does not care if they approve or not. She loves Edward and loves being Noah's stepmum. Life is good. Or is it?

This book will keep you guessing all the way through. It will hold you captive until you finish that very last sentence. You will suspect everyone. No one is to be trusted. This book makes you feel like you are right there. Right in the middle of all the excitement. From the large home with the security to the seaside with the rolling waves. From the happiness of a newly married couple to the despair when something goes terribly wrong. You will root for people and it may be the wrong ones. Or maybe not. It's very good. Very well written. It will keep you guessing. Keep you wanting more.

The only one I trusted completely was Noah. Was he really so innocent??? Read and find out.

Thank you #NetGalley, #JessRyder, #Bookouture, #Bookoutureanonymous for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts about this book. It's great.

5/5 stars and a very high recommend. 



2 comments:

Mailbox Monday

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week ************ Warning:  Mailbox Mon...