Saturday, November 20, 2021

THE WITCHING TREE by Alice Blanchard

 

Welcome to Burning Lake, a small, isolated town with a dark history of witches and false accusations. Now, a modern-day witch has been murdered, and Detective Natalie Lockhart is reluctantly drawn deep into the case, in this atmospheric mystery from Alice Blanchard, The Witching Tree.

As legend has it, if you carve your deepest desire into the bark of a Witch Tree, then over time as the tree grows, it will swallow the carvings until only a witch can read them.

Until now.


Detective Natalie Lockhart gained unwanted notoriety when she and her family became front and center of not one, but two sensational murder cases. Now she’s lost her way. Burned out and always looking over her shoulder, Natalie desperately thinks that quitting the police force is her only option left.

All that changes when a beloved resident—a practicing Wiccan and founder of the town’s oldest coven—is killed in a fashion more twisted and shocking than Natalie has ever seen before, leaving the town reeling. Natalie has no choice but to help solve the case along with Detective Luke Pittman, her boss and the old childhood friend she cannot admit she loves, even to herself. There is a silent, malignant presence in Burning Lake that will not rest. And what happens next will shock the whole town, and Natalie, to the core.

MY THOUGHTS 

While I have absolutely loved this series I have to admit I was very disappointed in this one. It was not the whole story. It pulled me in and had me turning the pages as did the previous two books. It was the ending. What the heck happened? Nothing is resolved. It didn't give me any closure. None. Not one tiny bit. I can't take a cliff hanger but this is not acceptable. Not even a hint as to who the murder was or who did what to a certain person. Though I do have my guesses. I can't even share those though as it would be a giveaway and I never do that. 

Natalie Lockhart is back at it again in this harrowing book. A top Wiccan has been murdered in the most brutal way. Handcuffed to the train tracks. Waking up there and knowing what was coming had to be a most terrible feeling. A fate no one deserves. Ok maybe someone but not this woman who is so well loved by everyone in Burning Lake. Obviously not everyone though. Someone took this woman and shackled her to the tracks and left her. The details are gruesome but also very realistic. I cringed a lot during this part. 

From the beginning Natalie talks about her deep love for Hunter. What a great guy. How handsome. What a great lover. All the things you want in a mate. Then the next morning she goes to work and there is Luke. Her lifelong friend and according to her the love of her life. His good looks, his strong arms. All the same things except the lover part. It's obvious who she truly loves. Or is it. Good grief Natalie make a choice. Breaking hearts is not a good trait ya know. I do like Natalie though. She's a top notch detective and a friend to the end. She's reliable and dependable. She gets the job done. 

As for who killed Veronica.... Well I'm going to suppose that will come out in the next book. At least I hope so. ha I'm sure it will. While this book kept me on the edge for almost the whole story it did leave me reeling. I truly did enjoy it. I just wish so bad it would have hinted that it was going to be a cliffhanger so I could have been prepared. I hate to read a book and not know what happened. Not know who did what to whom. I hate when there is no idea of a cliffhanger. Though I would have read it anyway because I would have known that another was coming. Now how long do we have to wait??? I hope not too long. I think this author has a very creative mind and in ways maybe a morbid sense of humor. Not really anything funny about this story though. That is just an observation. This book has plenty of twists and turns. Plenty of killings, none solved exactly. Plenty of things to keep you reading. Be warned... No ending! Until next time maybe.

Thank you #NetGalley, #AliceBlanchard, #StMartinsPress for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts.

4/5 and a high recommendation. Even though it leaves you hanging it's very good. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh, disappointing endings are the worst! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it was a good story anyway. Now I want to get the next book to find out what happened.

      Delete

Mailbox Monday

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week ************ Warning:  Mailbox Mon...