Monday, March 30, 2020

YOU ARE NOT ALONE by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

I’ve read and enjoyed other books by these two authors and was very excited to get this one. It pulled me right in and didn’t let go. From start to dramatic finish this one held me captive for sure.
You Are Not Alone is a great title. A great book. I loved it.
Shay witnesses a suicide that will change her life forever. She goes from being a shy young woman who is working for a temp agency to making some friends who she leans on for support throughout this story. She’s torn apart after what she saw and gets deeply involved in the dead woman’s life. She even starts to look like her...
But eventually things turn south for Shay. She has no one to turn to. No one she can trust and she’s alone and running for her life in New York. Riding the subway and trying to figure out who she can turn to and who may want to harm her is wearing her down fast. Lack of sleep and food make her life even harder. What can she trust. Who can she trust. Is there anywhere she can go to feel safe again. She’s being framed for a murder she did not commit. She has no idea why or who the person is she’s supposedly killed. Even her roommate has turned on her it seems. He was her best friend at one time. Shay has only one choice, to find out for herself who is trying to get her. She can’t seem to trust the detective who thinks she may have had something to do with a murder. She can’t even trust herself.
All Shay wanted was a life a love and a home. A good job and friends. She meets the Moore sisters and thinks she has found the friends at least. But are they truly her friends or do they need her for something way more sinister. Are they to good to be true or is their group up to no good. What are they hiding and who are they really. That is the big question Shay needs to be asking.
This book will pull you in and have you wanting more. It will keep you turning the pages and wondering who can be trusted from the beginning. Is Shay really who she claims to be or is she playing games. Are Cassandra and Jane for real or are they up to more than it appears. This book holds a few surprises for the reader. It had me for sure. I didn’t see it coming and that is unusual for me. I did not figure out who was who.
The characters, although dark and untrustworthy, are likable. The setting is great and I felt like I was actually riding that subway day and night with Shay. I felt her fatigue and her fear. I felt her loss when she had no one to turn to. I cried in many places and even laughed in a couple. This is a very good book that I honestly enjoyed from the very beginning. I hated for it to end.
Thank you to #NetGalley, #St Martin’s Press for the ARC in exchange for my true and honest review.
A huge 5 stars from me and a very high recommendation..

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

  My thoughts This book is not at all what I was hoping for. It's was a first for me by this author and I'm so disappointed.  Parts ...