Saturday, March 21, 2020

KEEP ME AFLOAT by Jennifer Gold



Jennifer Gold, author of The Ingredient of Us has written another winner. Keep Me Afloat. This title fits so well.
This is my second book by this author and I enjoyed it very much. There was parts that the synopsis talked about that I never truly saw.. Like friends and family not being the same toward her. To me her parents, while having problems of their own, were great to her. Her best friends were right there for her too. The only one that was indifferent toward her was a guy friend she fled from and in my opinion he had no right to be judging considering he was married as was Abby. Abby is the main character in this book and I did like her a lot. Her best friends, Chrissy and Nick, who were married to each other, opened their home to her when she needed them. Not that she lived with them mind you, but when she needed their moral support they were right there. I liked them both also.
Abby married the love of her life, Dennis, but to me it seemed he became somewhat of a jerk about her career. Though there too if she would have sit him down and really opened up to him about her feelings I believe he would have understood and be way more supportive. He was in the beginning and possibly would have been later after they married. But she didn’t and thus things happened.
Eli was a friend who Abby had many lunches with and even lied to Dennis about one night. They didn’t have a sexual affair but she sure did have a mental one and he would have if she would have. Eli was married with a child so I didn’t like him at all for wanting something besides what he already had. I do not believe in affairs so that made me dislike him because of his actions. He already had a very adventurous life so in my mind I kept wondering how many other women was he actually seeing in other countries. He was a professional photographer and did extensive travel whether his wife liked it or not. She was way more understanding than I would have been... Just saying.
This book had great characters. Great plot. Great emotions. Scenery descriptions. The job Abby had game much insight to the life of whales and in some places got very emotional. I learned some things that I had no idea about. There was one totally unexpected shock that made me have some very ugly tears. That and the part about the mother whale. No one abused them by the way, it was just a sad part of life. The descriptions in this book were done so well. It makes you feel like you are on the water, in the coffee shop or on the farm. It was just a very good book from start to finish.
Thank you to #NetGalley, #Lake Union and #Jennifer Gold for the ARC of this book. This is my own true review.
I gave it 4 stars and a high recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

  My thoughts This book is not at all what I was hoping for. It's was a first for me by this author and I'm so disappointed.  Parts ...