Wednesday, March 25, 2020

IN AN INSTANT by Suzanne Redfearn

This book has left me breathless. It’s one that has so much feeling and will without a doubt make you think about things differently. One that may in parts make you laugh but without a doubt will make you cry. It’s a very heartfelt, heartbreaking, story of love and loss. A family caught in the worse possible circumstances. A family who along with their best friends go to hell and back. One family may not have made it completely back though. Through actions of such horrible greed and in my opinion, selfishness, they get what they deserve. At least one does. Their daughter is an innocent child in all of it though. She may not be very likable, but she is a child and innocent in the events that happened.
This story is told from sixteen year old Finn’s point of view. She is caught between moving on after the horrific wreck that has taken her at such a young age and see’s each person’s strengths and weaknesses. She tries so hard to help. Watching her family almost destroy each other is a bit much for her as is watching her best friend try and figure things out. There is so much sorrow in these people it’s just heartbreaking. There was eleven people in the van when it wrecked, nine survived and moved on.
There are some very likable characters in this book. Most in fact are likable. Finn is adorable as is her best friend, Mo. Chloe, Finn’s older sister, is lovable, although she is a bit of a troublemaker at times too. There’s Oz, who is developmentally challenged, Finn’s brother. Overall I liked everyone except Uncle Bob. Him I came to hate deeply. I can almost believe he didn’t do anything with intent, but not quite. What he did was unforgivable. One of those who you think is your friend but is really very selfish and cold. I can’t even buy that he truly cared that much for his own family. I just could not connect or care about this excuse of a human being.
This book made me cringe so much in many places. There was only one thing that I didn’t like about this book. That I didn’t feel I got complete closure where Oz was concerned. Though in my mind I can see it clearly and that may be exactly what the author was intending. Ann, Finn’s mother, was way more loving and caring than most knew. Finn saw that side of her where no one else ever had. Letting go has to be the hardest thing a parent ever does. If it’s at all truly possible.
The Author’s Note at the end is a must read. It sheds so much light on why this author wrote this book. It’s another sad part but necessary too. I hope this book helped her to get more closure. I agree that you have to be very careful who you entrust your children too. I imagine it was/is very hard for her to trust anyone completely with them.
This book will definitely pull at your heartstrings. Bring tears to your eyes and leave you with your mouth hanging open in parts. It will make you think about who you can or can’t trust. Wonder what you would do in this situation. I believe with all my heart that I would be fair to all children. I certainly hope I would. It’s such an important thing and children learn from what they see and what they feel.
Thank you for writing this beautiful, heartfelt, tearjerker of a story.
Thank you to #NetGalley, #Lake Union, #Suzanne Redfearn for this ARC. This is my review.
I had to give it a 5 star rating and a very high recommendation. Be sure and have lots of kleenex handy though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

  My thoughts This book is not at all what I was hoping for. It's was a first for me by this author and I'm so disappointed.  Parts ...