Wednesday, July 31, 2024

The Thirteenth Husband by Greer Macallister

 

My thoughts

Another excellent story by an author I am beginning to throughly enjoy. 

This book is so different from the last one I read by this author. Though still a historical book. This one is about a woman. A woman named Amy/Aimee. Set back in the late 1800s and when women had very few rights. To ask for a divorce was just not done. Only a man could get a divorce. But it seems that Aimee got a few in her lifetime. 

Amy/Aimee Crocker became a muliti-millionaire at the age of ten. Her father died of a heart attack and from there it seems her life is set. Set to go from one man to another. Possibly, or in my opinion, looking for love. A love that she didn't get from her dad because of him dying while she was so young. Of course he doted on her up until that death. Her mother I felt was a bit cold and her sister was just a jerk. My opinions on all of that but it seems that was how it was.

Amy was told that her thirteenth husband would bury her. A fortune teller told her this and she didn't forget it. Now when her father died she claimed to have seen a woman in white in her dreams. As her life progressed she dreamed of this strange women before a few disasters and deaths. Amy married her first husband kind of quickly. Supposedly he won the ability to ask her to marry him in a poker game. Needless to say that marriage was the start of Amy's long line of men. He was a jerk. They had a daughter together after which he seemed to want nothing to do with her or the child. Though he did kidnap said child. 

Amy traveled extensively. All over the world. She met and went to bed with several men. She only fell in love with one man. True love that is. Even though she married a few times and had so many lovers her third husband was the one that she totally fell in love with. The one that seemed to complete her. Unfortunately he died and she was left with two children that they adopted. She grieved for him. Though eventually she did move on with life. She went through some very strange times. Met some strange men and was hurt in many ways. But she persevered. 

Amy/Aimee lived a long and eventful life. She wrote some books about her life. She was treated like she was nothing for being a divorced woman. She was loved because she had money. She had children. She had what seems like a fulfilling life. The one thing I thought throughout this book was that her loss at such an early life layered the blueprint for her entire life. Looking for a strong love. A person who would be totally devoted to her. At least that is how it made me feel. 

Well researched. Well written. I had no idea this woman Aimee Crocker existed. This was a very interesting story. I enjoyed it. It did make me cry in places and gasp in others. I felt bad for Amy/Aimee. But I also saw her as strong in many ways. She saw what she wanted and went for it. Even at the expense of not having female friends. 

Thank you #NetGalley, #Sourcebooks/Landmark, for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts about this book.

Five stars from me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

We Must Not Think Of Ourselves by Lauren Grodstein

  My thoughts A first by this author for me. I'll be looking for more of her work. This book was very emotional and well written.  I was...