Thursday, March 28, 2024

Listen For The Lie by Amy Tintera

 

My thoughts

This was probably the most aggravating book I've read in like forever. It was interesting but a bit on the dramatic side and repetitive in many places. It's hard for me to say exactly how I feel about this one. It was ok and the thing that saved it for me was the ending. I loved the last two chapters of this book so much. I also still think Lucy was guilty.... Maybe.

The "Let's Kill" drove me nuts. A few times would have been enough to get the picture. But I guess a ghost can overdo anything. Or a figment of one's imagination if you will. Voices in a person's head or a ghost, whichever it was it was a bit much at times. Savvy seemed to live in Lucy's head a lot. In many ways I can understand that. They were best friends after all. 

There were parts of this book that drove me to exasperation. How Lucy's ex didn't believe her. How her parents could think the worst of her. How everyone in this town thought she was a killer yet she never went to jail. I just didn't buy that part. From how she was described I think she would have been put away for life. But that made it interesting. 

Then we have Ben the podcaster. He's going to solve this murder and see that whoever killed Savvy is found out. He was somewhat likable but he was also to easy. There were things he did that I don't believe he would have really done had he been doing exactly what he said he was doing. (You'll have to read it to know what I mean I think) 

I almost liked Ben. I almost liked Lucy. I detested Alex, Lucy's ex-husband. I don't buy that he changed either. I did not like her parents either. No wonder she moved so far away and refused to visit. I loved her grandmother for the most part. Yes she was a nut, but in a good way. She wanted to get to the bottom of things and clear Lucy so she cooperated with Ben in many ways. The way she talked and things she did with her own daughter, Lucy's mother, had me rolling in laughter. She was definitely a hoot. 

Overall this book was ok. It was not as good as I had hoped but still it was ok. It kept me wanting to read to find out who the killer was. I suspected the one they arrested but just couldn't stop thinking there was something missing. I guess I will have to except the ending as it was and say that Lucy was innocent... But I have a few doubts.

Thank you #NetGalley, #AmyTintera, #CeladonBooks, for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this book.

3.5 stars. Read and decide for yourself. Seems I am in the minority about my rating but it is what it is. Enjoy!!

About

What if you thought you murdered your best friend? And if everyone else thought so too? And what if the truth doesn't matter?

After Lucy is found wandering the streets, covered in her best friend Savvy’s blood, everyone thinks she is a murderer. Lucy and Savvy were the golden girls of their small Texas town: pretty, smart, and enviable. Lucy married a dream guy with a big ring and an even bigger new home. Savvy was the social butterfly loved by all, and if you believe the rumors, especially popular with the men in town. It’s been years since that horrible night, a night Lucy can’t remember anything about, and she has since moved to LA and started a new life.

But now the phenomenally huge hit true crime podcast "Listen for the Lie," and its too-good looking host Ben Owens, have decided to investigate Savvy’s murder for the show’s second season. Lucy is forced to return to the place she vowed never to set foot in again to solve her friend’s murder, even if she is the one that did it.





1 comment:

Summers At The Saint by Mary Kay Andrews

  My thoughts I can't believe this is the first Mary Kay Andrews book I have read. I've seen several and even own two besides this o...