Thursday, February 9, 2023

THE WITCH OF TIN MOUNTAIN by Paulette Kennedy

 

MY THOUGHTS

This book is SO GOOD! I was very pleasantly surprised. It had that wow factor that I look for in a book. It was definitely out of my normal genre but I am so glad I read it. I'm trying to do that at least once a month. 

This book starts out in 1831 on Tin Mountain with a so called witch named Anneliese. What happened to her and who was at the heart of that. A preacher. A man. A spurned man. She did what she had to to save her son. 

Then we jump ahead to 1931, a hundred years later. We meet Gracelynn. She's living with her granny who is not blood kin but from the heart. After losing her mother and then her low life scum of a father she is brought by Val to live on Tin Mountain with her grandmother. Val is her aunt. 

Back to 1881 where we meet Deirdre. Deirdre is a young woman with a lot going on. Her dad goes away for work a lot and that leaves her mother to raise her. Her mother is no saint but she is doing her best I suppose. Deirdre is in love with a local boy who I didn't care for at all. He was a user. A liar and only out to get what he wanted. Maybe he cared for Deirdre a tiny bit but that would be about all.. 

The way these three women are tied together is great. It has that wow factor I mentioned earlier. It was an eye-opener for sure. I loved the way this author spun Deirdre and Gracelynn together was nothing short of fantastic. In my opinion. Then we through in Anneliese and the story is perfect. Are these women truly witches? Your guess is as good as mine. I think they are very powerful. Very strong women. Yes they can cast spells and help people in many ways. They are true and honest. They love life. 

This book is about so many other things also. Forgiveness maybe. Being gay in a time when it was unthinkable, still is in many ways. Being pregnant without being married. A so called faith healer. A demon in many forms. You meet three men also, Nathaniel, Ambrose, and Josiah. You won't like either of them. Preachers or fakes. Yeah that's what I thought. Jerks. 

A lot of the characters in this story are very likable. Then they turn on the one that only tried to help. Then you won't like them to much. Or I didn't. There were some though that I really loved. And that ending. That ending was dynamic. So powerful. So goosebump worthy. Had me holding my breath and hoping for the best. And the very end. The Epilogue.. Answered what happened to all. I loved it. Great writing. Great scenery. Great book. Well done!

My favorite quote from this book is:

"AS I'VE GOTTEN OLDER, I'VE COME TO REALIZE THAT HOME IS LESS ABOUT THE PLACE YOU LIVE, AND MORE ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE YOU."

Thank you @NetGalley, @PauletteKennedy, @LakeUnionPublishers for this ARC. This is my true feeling about this book.

Five huge stars. It's so worth reading. 

SYNOPSIS

In Depression-era Arkansas, something wicked has come to a haunted mountain town in a novel of uncanny suspense by the author of Parting the Veil.

Blood and power bind three generations of women in the Ozark Mountains. So does an evil that’s followed them across the decades.

1931. Gracelynn Doherty lives peacefully on Tin Mountain, helping her adoptive granny work her cures. Despite whispers that the women are witches, the superstitious locals still seek them out, whether to remedy arthritis or a broken heart. But when evangelist Josiah Bellflower comes to town promising miracle healing, full bellies, and prosperity, his revivals soon hold Tin Mountain in thrall—and Granny in abject fear.

Granny recognizes Josiah. Fifty years ago, in a dark and desperate moment, she made a terrible promise. Now Josiah, an enemy, has returned to collect his due.

As Granny sickens and the drought-ridden countryside falls under a curse, Gracelynn must choose: flee Tin Mountain and the only family she knows, or confront the vengeful preacher whose unholy mission is to destroy her.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disturbing The Dead by Kelley Armstrong

  My thoughts I usually don't read many time travel books but these have been so good. This author has go beyond the realm of what my im...