Sunday, February 26, 2023

THE FAMILY CABIN by James Caine

 

MY THOUGHTS 

This was a very quick read for me. It held my interest all the way through. I did find a lot of it unbelievable but that also made the story more interesting. Made me keep turning the pages to find out what would happen and why things were going the way they were.

You start out meeting Amber. Amber is a college student studying to be a lawyer. She spends lots of time in the library studying for exams. She is taken one evening when she leaves and doesn't take a call from her mother. She awakens in a basement chained with her hands handcuffed behind her back. A man with a wolf's head comes in and leaves a bowl of water and dog food. Also a bucket. He demands that she eats and drinks like a dog. He demands that she call him "master." He tells her he will put her down if she does not obey him. He has no regards at all to how he is making her feel. For what he is doing. He's a cold and calculating person. But who is he really?

Then you meet Dawn. Dawn is on her way to the family cabin. She's planning a surprise party for her husband, Mike, who will be turning forty next week. She wants to do something special for this this weekend and also invites her best friend Sarah and her husband Vic. Dawn and Mike have a young six year old son, Junior. Junior will be staying with Dawn's parents for the weekend. She wants everything to be perfect for this weekend. 

Once Dawn reaches the cabin though she finds something that will change her life forever. There is a woman in the basement. She's handcuffed and chained. What on earth is going on. Who did this. Before she can help the woman she hears her husband arrive and tells the woman to keep quiet and she will be back to help her. Now this is where I found fault with this story. I would think that any person upon finding a woman bound in their family cabin would immediately call the police. Get help. Find out what is going on. But Dawn does none of this. She thinks it's her husband that did this. After being married for thirteen years she doesn't know him? I found that a bit out there also. But still it held my attention. 

You meet Rick who is Mike's brother. You meet Vic and Sarah. Rick is Mike's younger brother and is unmarried. You also meet a neighbor. An older man who lives in a cabin year round. As this story unfolds you get to know all of these characters. It's told back and forth between Amber and Dawn. You get to know them and you may or may not like them. I liked Amber but thought Dawn was way to weak. Why she didn't call for help is beyond me. But like I said this story would have ended then I suppose. You will find out who did this. Who is behind this kidnapping and much more. 

I enjoyed reading this story. It held my interest even though I had so many questions "why." Why not call the police. Why not shout out for help when in the grocery store if you couldn't use a phone. Why not ask Mike what was going on if you suspected it was him. I know you would possibly be afraid of a husband if you thought he was that evil but after thirteen years you would have to ask...

Thank you #NetGalley, #JamesCaine, #VictoryEditingNetGalleyCo-Op for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts about this book.

3.5 stars. It could have been a big five stars but I had to many questions. Read it and judge for yourself.

SYNOPSIS

There’s a young woman tied up in the basement of our cabin.

It was supposed to be a fun weekend at our family cabin. I was going to surprise my husband, Mike, with a small get together for his 40th birthday.

Something is wrong though. Mike isn’t himself lately. He goes out often, and by himself, leaving me and our young son. Our happy marriage is fading away and I don’t know why.

This weekend is just what's needed to cheer him up. It’s what we need for us.

When I get to the cabin and set up, I hear sounds coming from the basement. That’s when I see her. A young woman tied up and scared.

She cries out for me to help her. Before I can, Mike comes to the cabin early.

Who is she? Why is she here?

What has my husband done?

The new psychological thriller from the author of 
The In-Laws and The Patient’s List. If you’re a fan of page turning thrillers by the likes of Daniel Hurst or Freida McFadden, The Family Cabin will keep you on the edge of your seat.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disturbing The Dead by Kelley Armstrong

  My thoughts I usually don't read many time travel books but these have been so good. This author has go beyond the realm of what my im...