Sunday, May 24, 2020

WATER’S EDGE by Gregg Olsen

First let me say that this is my second book by Gregg Olsen and I can not wait for the next one in this series. I was set to give this a 4 star rating because I truly thought I had the killer all figured out. Boy was I ever wrong. Dead wrong.

Megan Carpenter is a detective who has a history of her own. She is the product of a serial killer/rapist. She has become a cop to see justice is done for others no matter what. She will go to the extreme to see that the killer in this story is brought to justice. She has gone through a lot to get where she is and has no intention of letting anyone stand in her way. She’s tough, strong, unstoppable yet human too. She puts up a very strong front but deep down inside she just wants to have a good peaceful and happy life. She wants to hear from her baby brother, who was in Afghanistan, also. He holds a lot against her from their past.

When the body of a young woman is found Megan and Ronnie, a young cop, go to the end to find the killer. They uncover more bodies that have been found before and find the link to them all. It’s a pretty gruesome account of what happened to each young woman and what they had to endure before dying. Each had had a child, one pregnant, and given them up for adoption. Each was a red head and they all looked so similar they could have been related.

This is a great mystery/thriller and the thing I really liked about it was I did not figure out who the killer was. I usually do and was very surprised that it was not who I thought. It’s a story told by Megan and takes you on a ride you won’t soon forget. It spans several counties in the state of Washington and threw several different cops. Each has their own theory. But Megan does not give up until her and the young woman, Ronnie, working the case with her are finished finding all the evidence and putting away the bad guys. They sure go through a lot and are almost killed themselves. While all of this is going on you get a clear picture of what Megan’s life was growing up through the tapes she has and listens to in this story. All she endured trying to keep herself and her young brother safe. To top it off someone is stalking her from her past.

I can’t wait for the next book in this series. The first, SNOW CREEK, was great and this one even better. I think the next will be even better than this if possible. Keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way through. The main character, Megan, is a very likable person and you will root for her to survive this. You will root for her to find this killer and bring them to their knees. I liked most of the characters in this book yet there were a few that you just will not like at all. They are just not likable.

Thank you to #NetGalley, #GreggOlsen, #Bookouture for this ARC. I was in no way compensated for this review. It’s my own true feelings.

A big 5 stars from me and a very high recommendation for anyone who loves a great edge of your seat thriller/mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mailbox Monday

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week ************ Warning:  Mailbox Mon...