Tuesday, May 5, 2020

WATCHING FROM THE DARK by Gytha Lodge

This book had great promise but to me fell short. I figured out who the killer was way early on and that just ruined it for me. I didn’t connect with any of the characters and just didn’t feel it like I should have. While I did finish it and thought it would have been a very good read if someone else would have been the killer that is just not what happened. It fell way short for me.

Not one of the characters seemed real to me. They all just seemed either way to weak, Angeline was way to clingy and seemed weak. I do understand that she would be upset over the loss of her friend but this was before that. When the story would go back to before Zoe was killed. Angeline depended on Zoe way to much and then seemed to be a person of interest later??? Maeve, I just didn’t like her for the same reason I didn’t like Zoe; dating a married man is just wrong. Wrong on way to many levels. None of the detectives did it for me and that was bad. I just could not seem to get into this book.

That being said, you may love it. Lots of others have. I won’t say it’s not for anyone because it just may be a great book for some readers. But in my opinion, if you like a good thriller and like figuring out who did it, this one is just not it. It was way to easy. But still, read for yourself. The author did do great with descriptions and scenery. Toward the end there was a scene with the killer and a DI that was intense and had me holding my breath. But I also knew he would be ok. Would not be killed. There was no reason for it. It would have been better if the killer would have taken their own life though. That may have made me like it better. Also taken their partner’s life too. Since it was partly the partner’s fault what happened.

For someone to not even call the cops and scream at them that they believe someone they are suppose to care about may have been hurt bad is beyond my comprehension. To do that because you might get in trouble is just cold. This person was unfeeling and to me very unlikable and a jerk. He knew someone had entered the apartment. But then again, he had things to hide didn’t he??? That part when it came out was good. There are good and bad in this book. Read it and decide for yourself.

Thank you to #NetGalley, #RandomHousePublishers, #GythaLodge for this ARC. This is my own review.

I gave it 3 stars. I didn’t really enjoy it but I do recommend you read it for yourself and decide. It could just be that I read lots of this type of book and expect more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mailbox Monday

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week ************ Warning:  Mailbox Mon...