Friday, May 15, 2020

THIS IS HOW I LIED by Heather Gudenkauf

I have not been disappointed by a book by this author yet. This one is now my favorite. The one quote that summed up this book was, “I’ll be able to say, This is how I lied, and now this is my truth.”
That is from the one person in this book that will take your breath away. At least it did for me. I was shocked by this story in many ways but also sort of figured who was going to be the ultimate bad person. Of course I did guess almost every character before I found out for certain. So there ya go.

This is the story of a woman who lost her best friend twenty five years earlier. Eve was killed at the age of fifteen. She went through way to much for a girl so young. She had way to much responsibility on her young shoulders. From an abusive boyfriend to a sister who needed to be watched out for way to much. Eve was a child with her who future in front of her. She was a good girl who only wanted to get on with her life. Move on after a bad relationship and live life. Eve died way to young.

Maggie, Eve’s best friend, grew up and became a cop. Her dad had been a cop and was the one who was in charge of Eve’s case. But he had to step down and he suffered from short term memory loss. Maggie was married to a boy from high school and expecting their baby. They had gone through a lot to have this baby and sure didn’t want anything to happen to it. Maggie was in charge of investigating Eve’s murder when new evidence was presented. Can she be unbiased and do the job she needs to do? Will she go into it with an open mind and with all she has to find out who killed Eve? Eve deserves justice. She deserves to rest in peace after so no one was arrested for so many years. Will her killer finally be brought to justice?

This book deals with several subjects. From teen abuse to teen molestation to murder. From friendships put to the test to a marriage put to the test. To family who can’t find closure to one that has many secrets. From a childhood ripped apart way to early. Best friends, Eve and Maggie, are put to the test about a few things. Maggie does not want Eve to keep putting up with the abusive boyfriend. Eve wants Maggie to make better life choices. Each has secrets. Each loves the other. But it’s not enough. One still dies and one moves on.

The characters in this book are well developed. I liked them all. I felt bad for Nola, Eve’s sister. She had problems for sure but she did love Eve. She may have been somewhat different and at times she was a pain and very dark, but I still felt bad for her. The next door neighbor I didn’t like at all. I won’t say more about him you will just have to read this book and judge for yourself. Maggie’s husband was a good guy and only wanted his wife and unborn daughter to be safe. She had many secrets she didn’t share with him but she loved him with all her heart. This is a book that will have you feeling sad in many parts. A few laughs and much edge of your seat thrills. You will hold your breath in many places and wonder who did what. Who killed Eve? And why.

This is a great book. If you love thrillers this one is for you.

Thank you to #NetGalley, #HARLEQUIN – Trade Publishing (U.S. & Canada)
Park Row, #HeatherGudenkauf, #ThisIsHowILied for this ARC. This is my own review.

I gave it a huge 5 stars and the biggest recommendation..

1 comment:

  1. This was good also. I just finished the audio book and i found it slow reading, but was surprised with the ending. Didnt expect that for sure. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Summers At The Saint by Mary Kay Andrews

  My thoughts I can't believe this is the first Mary Kay Andrews book I have read. I've seen several and even own two besides this o...