Tuesday, February 18, 2020

THE LEAVING PARTY by Lesley Sanderson

This was my first book by this author. It was a very interesting one and sure had me wanting to know what happened next. I did figure out who was doing what with the exception of someone’s little sister. That part got me. The best friend is not always who they seem to be. But a best friend will always be there for you. Won’t they.

This is a story of two best friends who experienced a tragedy thirteen years ago. A girl was killed and one was hurt badly. One saved her best friend. It’s told from two different people’s view and from the two timelines. From the past when the accident happened and the present when the party happened. Ava is moving far away to be with her boyfriend, Ben. Her best friend, Lena, doesn’t want her to leave but is also happy for her. At least she wants to be. She honestly does not want to loose Ava but doesn’t know what to do to keep her from going. She throws Ava a huge going away party and the fun begins. At least the mysteries and the stories.

This book didn’t really have any likable characters in it for me. Though it was a good story and kept me wanting to read more, it just didn’t have any characters that I liked. Lena was to needed and Ava seemed to be afraid of her own shadow and totally did not have a mind of her own. Whether it was Lena or Ava’s sister, Martha. One of them was constantly taking Ava by the hand and telling her what to do and how to feel. And with all the alcohol they drank I do not see how any of them, with the exception of Martha, could stand up much less tell anyone what to do. There was enough going on that it held my interest and made me want to know what was going to happen next and find out who was doing the mean things that were being done and I wanted to know who did what back in 2005. It was a good story just no good characters to connect with. It had lots of twists going on and will make you hold your breath in parts. In places it’s a bit repetitive though. But that aside I still am glad I read this book. It definitely is one that I had to finish.

Thank you to #NetGalley, #Lesley Sanderson, #Bookouture for the ARC of this book.

I gave it three stars. I do recommend you read it for yourself as things to appeal to different people in different ways. It was one that I had to finish and I enjoyed it in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

  My thoughts This book is not at all what I was hoping for. It's was a first for me by this author and I'm so disappointed.  Parts ...