Wednesday, February 12, 2020

FOLLOW ME by Kathleen Barber

This is a first for me by this author. While I truly liked the book it seemed to go on a bit to long in parts. I did enjoy learning about some of the things that can be done via the internet and from behind the lens so to speak. Cyber stalking is an all to scary thing and it does happen. It has to be awful to be caught up in this and never even know you are.

Audrey was a very popular instagramer. She had millions of followers and lived the life of someone who had all the popularity she could handle. But did she have any real true friends. Was anyone completely there for her? When she moved to DC from New York there her best friend from college, Cat, was excited to have her there. She wanted Audrey to move into her guest room but Audrey had already got an apartment and wanted to be on her own finally. Did she make the right choice or was it one big mistake to think she could live alone. Audrey really hated being alone. She had always hated it even as a small child.

Cat was an up and coming lawyer who had been in love with Connor for years. She had absolutely no confidence in herself though and depended on her best friend Audrey to make things work for her. But was she really a friend or was she just another user. Cat was very selfish in my opinion. I never through this whole story liked her at all. She was way to needed and clingy for someone who worked so hard to be a lawyer with a big firm. She didn’t have a clue how to put herself out there for anything. She was totally dependent on Audrey. What’s worse was I kept wondering how did she survive before Audrey moved to DC. How did she make any decisions on her own. She did love to blame all of her problems on others. I just didn’t connect with her at all.

Max... He was a sad kind of person. He tended to fall in love at the drop of a dime but always over did everything. He too was another clingy type. But he was loyal in his own way. He did some pretty bad things but he did mean well. At least I think he did. He did things that he thought were the right things to do for the one he loved, or was obsessed with at the time. But he was sincere.

Nick. I liked him. He was the only one that seemed to be up front and completely honest. Him and Audrey were both pretty much themselves and didn’t put up fronts for others. Well Audrey may have a bit for her followers, but in her private life she was truly sincere with her feelings. Could Nick really be trusted though?

One of the people in this story is a stalker and you will have many guesses before the end. While I did figure out who it was, it was fairly on into the book before it clicked with me. There were many intense moments in this story that will keep you on edge and wondering what will happen next and who is doing what. It’s a good book though a bit long and in places could have been shortened to make it even better. Some parts just seemed to drag on to me. But over all I enjoyed it.

There were no characters besides Audrey and Nick that I liked. None that seemed likable at all except in places Audrey and Nick. Well I have to admit I did like Nick. I think he was very likable. Audrey was in places but she was also an attention grabber so that made her a bit out there.

Thank you to #NetGalley, #Kathleen Barber, #Gallery Pocket Books for this eARC. This is my own true review.

I give it a 3.5 star and would have given it more if it would not have dragged in places. I still recommend it as it’s a good one and you will learn somethings from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

  My thoughts This book is not at all what I was hoping for. It's was a first for me by this author and I'm so disappointed.  Parts ...