Monday, January 27, 2020

BEHIND EVERY LIE by Christina McDonald

First I’d like to say this is the first book I have read by this author. I definitely look forward to more though. This one was great. It was perfect. It had it all.
There are a few things here that really made this book great. Here are a few that touched me.
“For so long I’d been trying to move past it, around it. But it hadn’t worked. It was always there, tearing me up, breaking me to pieces.
 Only now did I see-it didn’t matter how far I went; I couldn’t outrun myself.” (That is powerful in my opinion)
“Answers, I know, are rarely absolute. We each intend to do the right thing, and yet we are all helpless in the face of fate. We make a choice and must then move forward with the consequences.” (Another powerful quote from this story)
“We can be strong and brave and broken and whole all at the same time.”
“We aren’t defined by our tragedies, by our history, by our mistakes, but by pieces of love and sadness and happiness, and the whole range of human emotions we feel.” (That is so true. If only we could see that when we truly need too.)

This book is told from alternating POVs. Eva and Kat. Kat’s is from 25 years before. Eva’s is in the now. Both end up exactly where they should. Both take you on a ride you will both love and hurt over. It’s a very touching story of the love of a mother. The abuse of a wife. The losses some go through and the things that lead up to murder....

The who did what to whom will make you not want to put this book down. You’ll read each timeline wanting more and more. You’ll hurt for mother’s who are only trying to do their best. To get by and protect what belongs to them. From running away to protect themselves and their child. Going to a whole new world and starting over. Life is not always easy. We sometimes do things that we would never dare when it comes to living or dying.

This is a very good story. It has a lot of things that will make your heart hurt. Make it break. But ultimately it will have you rooting for the one person to find out she’s worthy of life. Of being herself. The choices she makes are not perfect but they make her who she is and that is what counts. That is true about all three of the women in this story when you finish and have time to reflect back on this story.

It if filled with very likable characters. Except Seb. I detested him immensely. But he was part of this story and it had to go the way it did to make it the wonderful book that I believe it is. The character development is perfect also as is the descriptions. You’ll feel like you are right there in the story. From some of the pain inflicted at times you will actually find yourself flinching. Parts will make you cry so much and parts will have your mouth dropping with a big “why didn’t I see that coming”. I throughly enjoyed reading this book. From start to beautiful ending. It was tied up just right. I can’t think of anything that was left out or needed to be said.

I have to thank #NetGally, #GalleryBooks and #ChristinaMcDonald for the eARC of this book. This is my own unbiased review.

I had to give it a 5 star rating and also a hug recommendation to everyone I know that loves a good mystery/thriller. It’s absolutely wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

  My thoughts This book is not at all what I was hoping for. It's was a first for me by this author and I'm so disappointed.  Parts ...