Tuesday, August 13, 2019

THE PERFECT WIFE by J.P. Delaney

This book surprised me. A lot. I’m not into Sci-Fi at all.... usually! But, this book was a Sci-Fi kind of book and was excellent. From the very beginning I wanted to know what was happening and why it was happening. I wanted to know exactly what happened to Abbie. Why was there a need to bring her back from whatever happened to her? Who is Tim besides being her husband?

They have supposedly been very happily married for a long time and have a son who is autistic and the light of their eyes. Tim would do anything for him and Abbie. The best school for their son to help him live as normal a life as possible. A beautiful home for them and a beach house he had built for Abbie that was beyond anything she ever dreamed of.

But what happened? Why did Tim tell her she was a “cobot?” Cobot, a companion robot for someone who can’t handle grieving for a lost family member. That is what Tim told Abbie she was now. It was his field of expertise and he loved her so much he could not move on even after she had been gone five years.

Something sinister is going on though. Abbie is finding things that are not exactly as he said. She wants him to love “her” but he still can’t let go of “Abbie”. There is more to this than meets the eye.

This book was well written and you won’t look at Abbie the cobot as anything other than human. Her thoughts and the way she interacts with others and their son is phenomenal. She seems like a real person with somewhat real feelings.

Tim though is a very sick man. Things he does are so perverse. Not to Abbie but to other women. He seems to treat women like they are nothing. He put Abbie up on a pedestal to not be touched after giving birth to their son. Things changed after they had their son, Danny. It was like he only needed a son then their sex life was over. Theirs but not his... He was a sick sick perverted man.

This book goes from present day Abbie the cobot to past Abbie the woman. It’s the story of how the cobot came to be and why. It’s a very good book indeed.

It kept my interest very well and I loved the characters. Even Tim for a while. But he did finally make me love to hate him. He treated everyone like they were so stupid and inept. Like he was the only person who had any sense at all.

This book truly is a good read. You will not think of it as a Sci-Fi except when you think about Abbie the cobot. The ending was truly amazing. I thought I had this one figured out but I sure did not. That ending truly blew me away. I was shocked. I would love to have read a little bit more but the ending was done in a way that fit this story perfectly in my opinion. It all comes together. All of your questions are answered at the end but one..... Which one would that be???

Thank you to #NetGalley and #Random House publishers for this review copy. These thoughts are mine and mine alone.

I have to give this book a huge 5 stars. It was well written. The characters well developed. Questions you will have answered. It was just an all around good book.

Well done J.P. Delaney. I will be reading more of your work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If Something Happens To Me by Ales Finlay

  My thoughts Alex Finlay is one of my favorite authors. This book to me was one of his best. I've enjoyed a few and though I did see wh...