Tuesday, August 27, 2019

THE MISSING ONES by Edwin Hill

THE MISSING ONES(Hester Thursby’s Mystery #2) by Edwin Hill

Hester Thursby is back but doesn’t want to go back into finding people after what she and her niece, Kate, went through the last time. They had both been kidnapped and Hester was hurt pretty bad. She is so afraid of losing Kate that she has started lying to her boyfriend Morgan about her going to work and Kate going to preschool. She’s to afraid of letting Kate out of her sight again. But she gets a text and off she goes again.

It’s not just any text, it’s a text for help from Kate’s mother, Morgan’s twin sister, who you meet fairly early in this story.

Anne/Daphne is in trouble and wants someone to know just in case she does not make it, or if she just goes missing and needs help. She’s been staying on an island for a few months in an old Victorian house where drug addicts usually stay. While there, two children have gone missing. One belongs to the town’s bakery owner, Lydia, while the other belongs to a drug addicted woman. The local cop, Rory, is in love with Lydia and everyone in this small town knows it.

Trey, Lyndia’s husband is a cop also but I didn’t like him. He seemed like a real jerk to me. I liked Rory for a while but figured him out too. I liked Vaughn, Lydia and of course loved Hester. I also did not like Daphne. I think she is a terrible person and I hope she never comes back into Kate’s life. She deserted her and in my opinion gave up her rights to the child when she left her alone with a post it note. Even though it was explained why she left I personally think she could have done it in a better way. Anything could have happened to the child. So no I do not like Daphne either.

I think Morgan is a very understanding man and Hester should love him. I hope they get married eventually and get to raise Kate. I also hope they get to keep Ethan. Ethan needs a loving, caring, understanding home and he would certainly get that with them.

This book was very well written. I loved or hated the characters. It made me cry in all the right places and laugh out loud in a few. Kate, the four year old, is so funny. I love how she is portrayed. She’s a very loving and happy child with Hester and Morgan. Though she loves her mom she is happy with her uncle and aunt. They take such good care of her.

This book is set in the present and in a few places it goes back to when certain things happened so you know exactly what is going on. It’s well written and will keep you turning pages until the very end. I had to read the ending a couple of times to realize exactly what was going on I admit. But it’s setting the scene for the next Thursby book I hope....

I loved it!!

Thank you to #NetGalley, #Kensingtonbooks, and #EdwinHill for the copy of this book in exchange for my complete and honest review.

I give it 4 stars and highly recommend it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Underground Library by Jennifer Ryan

  My thoughts I can't believe this is my first book by this author. It was excellent. Very well written and researched. Based on a true ...