Wednesday, August 7, 2019

LITTLE COMFORT by Edwin Hill

Edwin Hill is a new to me author. I am fortunate enough to be friends with him on facebook and received a copy of this book from him.

Sam and Gabe both lived in the same small town. Sam with his sister, Lila, after the death of their parents. Gabe was a foster kid whose parents were drug addicts and only cared about themselves.

I felt sorry for Sam in the beginning. But as the story progressed I truly did not like him. He was a user and didn’t care who he hurt in the process. He wanted to be something he wasn’t and never would be. Instead of trying to make something out of his life he ran away and used everyone that crossed his path. I think a part of him wanted to have a life but he was way to selfish to get that the hard way. Hard work and being good to others. Even to Gabe.

Lila, I didn’t care for her at all. She was very selfish also and in my opinion was a child abuser. Not once in this story did she become likable to me. She lied to get what she wanted. She used people and she had a cruel heart in my opinion.

Gabe, I felt very sorry for him. Despite the fact that he would do almost anything for Sam he had a conscience. He cared about others. But he felt so obligated to Sam. Like he owed him. Gabe was mistreated so bad. In ways no young guy should ever be done. He was exposed to things and experiences that were horrendous. But he still had a heart. I believe he truly wanted a home, wife, child and a dog. He wanted to have a life. But he also could not say no to Sam. He trusted Sam even when his mind told him not too. I did like him and a huge part of me felt so sorry for him. He had a heart at least.

Hester, she was something else. I loved her, Kate and Morgan. Hester was a wonderful character throughout to me. She fought hard when she needed too. She cared about others and loved Kate and Morgan so much. Kate is Morgan’s sisters child who Hester and Morgan are raising. Hester finds people. She is hired to find Sam and Gabe. It does not take her long to find them but it seems like it takes her forever to really “find” them. In mental sense. She goes the extra mile, even without her consent, for Gabe. She definitely a fighter and my very favorite character in this book.

This book is very intense in places. It will make you wonder just what is going on. It will make you shed a few tears. Maybe a lot of them toward the end. It will put a smile on your face in part and even possibly bring a chuckle. From the very start to the very end you will want to find out what is happening. Who is the true people in this story. Who is bad, real bad.

I think the characters are done great. The author did a fantastic job of making you feel what they felt. Of being about to picture each one and feel the tensions they felt. The fear some felt and the anger others felt. The love in some and the evil in others. It’s a well written book with lots of things going on to keep you turning the pages.

I gave this book a  5 star rating and look forward to the next book THE MISSING ONES. What will Hester be up to in that one.

Thank you #Edwin Hill for the copy of this book. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If Something Happens To Me by Ales Finlay

  My thoughts Alex Finlay is one of my favorite authors. This book to me was one of his best. I've enjoyed a few and though I did see wh...