Monday, June 3, 2024

Talmadge Farm by Leo Daughtry

 

My thoughts

I'm sorry to say that I did not really enjoy this book. It appears that I am the only one that feels that way but I have to be honest. It has great potential and I understand it's the author's debut novel. I always hate when I have to give a not so glowing review and it's a first time author. I can't lie though. I found this one just was not that good.

While reading about different events that happened it would just stop. Not go on. Like when Gordon Jr's wrecked his vehicle. A girl was hurt. What happened? Did they get sued? Did she die? what happened. I admit I only read 50% of this book before I finally said that is enough but still.... End things. Don't start something then leave us hanging. As a reader that is just unacceptable for me. 

Also there should be trigger warnings on this book. In the first 25% there was an attempted rape and then a full on rape that happened years previous. There is a lot going on and this book does have great potential but right now I just can't take time to finish it. I'm so disappointed in it. 

Great setting. Great timelines. None of the characters were likable in my opinion. They didn't grow. They were basically dull. It could be descriptive in places and you hate Gordon right off the bat. He's an insufferable pig. His oldest son is just like him. His youngest seemed nice but isn't really talked about much.

I'm sorry but this book is not what I hoped it would be.

Thank you #NetGalley, #LeoDaughtry, #StoryMerchantBooks, for this ARC. This is my true feelings about this book.

Three stars and that is being very generous.

About

It's 1957, and tobacco is king. Wealthy landowner Gordon Talmadge enjoys the lavish lifestyle he inherited but doesn't like getting his hands dirty; he leaves that to the two sharecroppers - one white, one Black - who farm his tobacco but have bigger dreams for their own children. While Gordon takes no interest in the lives of his tenant farmers, a brutal attack between his son and the sharecropper children sets off a chain of events that leaves no one unscathed. Over the span of a decade, Gordon struggles to hold on to his family's legacy as the old order makes way for a New South.

TALMADGE FARM is a sweeping drama that follows three unforgettable families navigating the changing culture of North Carolina at a pivotal moment in history. A love letter to the American South, the novel is a story of resilience, hope, and family - both lost and found.



1 comment:

Queen Of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas

  My Thoughts This is actually book 5 of this series and you do have to read the first four to appreciate this one.  This is the best book s...