Saturday, April 22, 2023

ONLY THE BEAUTIFUL by Susan Meissner

 

MY THOUGHTS

I read my first Susan Meissner book several years ago and was hooked. I'll read any that she writes now and have a few to get too. I do so look forward to each one. My journey started with A FALL OF MARIGOLDS. It was the best book I read that year. I also read THE LAST YEAR OF THE WAR and THE NATURE OF FRAGILE THINGS. Each of these books were excellent. I devoured them. Ms Meissner is one of my very favorite authors. I'll read her books without reading the synopsis of the book. 

This book is the best one yet. I actually believe it's my all time favorite book. In the Historical genre I know it is. It was that good. The cover is gorgeous and from start to finish this book pulled me in and would not let go. I did a lot of ugly crying while reading it. I promise you it is worth reading. Worth all the tears. All the heartbreak. It's just that good honestly. 

This book is in two parts. The first part is Rosanne's story. It goes between before and after what happened. The year is 1938 and Rosie has lost her entire family. They were killed and she's left an orphan. At only sixteen she is alone and afraid. They had lived on the Calvert's vineyard Rosies entire life and that was all she knew. The Calvert's took her in as a kind of foster child but Celine Calvert made Rosie the maid. She was to work for them and she didn't mind. She is a good child and a very hard worker. Rosie has what I would call a gift. She sees colors when she hears sounds. They seem to fit what she is hearing and most are beautiful. She's doing great until something horrible happens and Celine sends her away to a mental hospital. Rosie is pregnant, seventeen, and alone. She's an orphan and scared. What happens to her at this place is horrendous. What makes it even worse is that it really happened back then and could possibly be happening still in some parts. Right here in the good old United States of America. 
 
Rosie's story is told before she's sent away and after. Before tells all she did and went through. All the ones she trusted with her whole heart. The things that lead up to what happened to her to cause her to be sent away. Then you read the after. Each chapter goes between those two things. You learn so much about what she endured. The sadness she goes through. Her life and how it's ultimately upended. How one persons horrible actions can change the life of one young girl. Rosie does not catch a break. You heart will break for her. Over and over again.

Then you meet Helen and get to know her. Helen is overseas working as a nanny. She's done quite a it of traveling and loves her life. Until she faces tragedy also. She loves her work and the family she is working for. When the war breaks out and things start getting very bad Helen's brother Truman wants her to come back home to the US but she refuses. She doesn't want to leave. The Nazis start taking children with disabilities from their homes and putting them into institutions. They are not treated well either. Helen's youngest charge is sent and she blames herself. When tragedy strikes this family Helen has to move on. 

Helen's story is told from two time lines also. The before and the after.

Helen starts working with others to help take children out of the Nazi territories where they will be safe. She is in Switzerland and has some help there. Over a course of time she saves several children from being murder by the German's just because they have a disability. Just because they may have to rely on someone the rest of their lives. How dare they. Who gives anyone the right to say that someone is a burden and needs to be put out of their misery. That is sick. Horrible. And the sad part is it could happen again. Never think we are all safe from these things. It happened before and it can happen again. 

This story talks about the sterilization of people. Taking away their rights to have children. Doctors playing god if you will. Who has that right. How dare they. Who did they think they were to decide who should or should not have children. Who should live or die. What children should have been murdered because they were not "perfect." 

From the very beginning of this story you will get to know two people. Rosanne and Helen. This is their story. What they went through. What they did to survive both physically and mentally. The good and the bad. 

December 1957 was a good year. Not only was it the year I was born but it was the year the Epilogue of this story is set in. I loved this ending. Yes it made me weep. It made me have so many emotions. It made me cringe in parts. Expecting everything to end up happy and all to be together finally. It gave me goosebumps. It was just perfect in my opinion. 

Never be afraid to read a book by Susan Meissner. She tells a story like you wouldn't believe. Pulls you in and captures your heart. You'll have many emotions and so far all happy endings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen For The Lie by Amy Tintera

  My thoughts This was probably the most aggravating book I've read in like forever. It was interesting but a bit on the dramatic side a...