Sunday, March 6, 2022

THE HEIGHTS by Louise Candlish

 

“Impossible to resist, impossible to predict, impossible to put down…this is an author at the top of her game.” —Erin Kelly, author of Watch Her Fall

The author of the “masterfully plotted, compulsive page-turner” (The GuardianOur House takes you on a haunting and nail-biting journey of tragedy and revenge.

The Heights is a tall, slender apartment building among warehouses in London. Its roof terrace is so discreet, you wouldn’t know it existed if you weren’t standing at the window of the flat directly opposite. But you are. And that’s when you see a man up there—a man you’d recognize anywhere. He may be older now, but it’s definitely him.

But that can’t be because he’s been dead for over two years. You know this for a fact.

Because you’re the one who killed him.

With Louise Candlish’s signature dark and twisty prose, The Heights shows “the ferocity of maternal love” (Hannah Beckerman, author of If Only I Could Tell You). “This cleverly constructed novel will keep readers enthralled until the last page” (Publishers Weekly, starred).

MY THOUGHTS
Another new to me author. I will be watching for more by this author.

This book actually was better than I thought it was going to be at first. It seemed to be slow at first but quickly picked up and I didn't want to put it down. The characters were truly messed up. All except Justin. I really liked Justin best of all. He to me was the best person in this whole twisted group of people. His wife, Ellen, was a straight up front nut but with good reason, and her ex, Vic, was just as bad. He was somewhat selfish. At least to me. I do understand why he did what he did.  But still he was just a self centered jerk. Ellen had good reason to be a nut, she has issues. Serious ones it seems.

This book will hook you. You will feel like you are on top of the building. Or in the freezing cold water. You will want to know what really happened to the boys. Who's fault things were. Or was there another reason for the actions that happened that fatal night? You'll probably have many guess but the ending will blow you away. I loved how this author pulled it all together and made it a very dramatic ending. Very edge of your seat and hold your breath. I did feel for them all in the end but still didn't like Vic or Ellen. 

This book is well written and keeps you guessing. It has all the things you expect from a good thriller. A who done it. A why was it done. A few huge twists. Some serious tears in places. Even the parts where you think you'd love to slap a few of the people involved. Everything seems to work out though and maybe there was a bit of justice. Or maybe not. It's up to you to figure that out. 

Thank you #NetGalley,, #LouiseCandlish, #Atria for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts about this book.

4/5 stars. It lost one because of the parts that made it drag a bit. Otherwise it was great. I do recommend it. Read it. Enjoy it.


2 comments:

Disturbing The Dead by Kelley Armstrong

  My thoughts I usually don't read many time travel books but these have been so good. This author has go beyond the realm of what my im...