Wednesday, April 8, 2020

HID FROM OUR EYES by Julia Spencer-Fleming

This is my first book by this author, Julia Spencer-Fleming and won’t be my last. Although it’s a series this was very good alone. I have a couple of the others but haven’t read them as of yet. I fully intend to though.

This book was great from the very first page. It held my interest all the way but I have to say I was a tiny bit disappointed with the ending. Though now that I know it’s part of a series of books that is ok because I’m sure my question of what happened to a certain person will be answered. It’s not exactly a cliffhanger but for me was just a very important part that I want to know about. I look forward to the next book for sure now.

The characters are all likable. There is a lot of mystery in this book. It’s not so much of a thriller as a mystery. A whodunnit book. From 1952, 1972 and present, which according to my math seems to be in the early 2000s. There are three murders. One in each year stated and three investigations. The early years, 1952 and 1972 go unsolved as there was not as many ways of finding out certain things in those years. All three murders are carried out the same way so it looks like it would be the same person doing them all. Or possibly a copycat. That remains to be seen when you read this book for yourself.

This book has many twists to it. Lots of things to make you wonder who is guilty. You’ll meet family members who truly love each other so much and others briefly who are not so close. Russ Van Alstyne and Clare Fergusson are married and very much in love. They have an infant son who they love beyond anything else. Clare is a clergy and Russ the police chief. Russ is investigating the latest murder. A young woman in her early twenties. No ID, no purse, shoes. She’s left in the road just like the previous woman. These deaths are years apart but done exactly the same way. Russ will stop at nothing to find justice no only for this death/murder but for the other two also.

This book was well written. It flows between the different time frames great. You won’t get lost or be wondering what is going on. It’s done perfectly. The descriptions are great and make you feel like you are part of the story.  You will feel emotions in many parts of the story and root for love in many. The thoughts of a killer on the loose will make you feel fear.

I enjoy this book very much. It held my attention all the way through and I look forward to reading more by this author. I think she is a very good author.

Thank you to #NetGalley, #Minotaur Books, #Julia Sencer-Fleming for the ARC in exchange for my complete and honest review.

I gave it 4 stars and highly recommend it to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mailbox Monday

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week ************ Warning:  Mailbox Mon...