Tuesday, August 27, 2024

All The Way Gone (Detective Annalise Vega #4) by Joanna Schaffhausen

 

My thoughts

The fourth in the Annalisa Verga series. This one did fall just a bit short for me. I wanted more. I thought Annalisa was a bit of a sissy in this book. While she did do typical PI work at times(breaking into apartments, stealing keys... ) it was just a tad out there in places. 

Annalisa starts her PI business after being a detective for so long. After solving a huge case she gave it all up to be a PI, wife, and stepmom. I hope she either gets better at the job or goes back to being a detective. I thought she made a better cop myself but this book was still good. It kept me reading and though I did figure out who the real sociopath was it didn't make a huge difference in my wanting to keep reading. Of course I did want to know for sure I was right.

There are a few characters in this book to follow but that was not hard. A doctor who can almost perform miracles. Yes he's that good. He lives in a high rise apartment complex along with the victim and the older woman who saw the girl fall to her death. That would be most traumatic for most people. 

Dr. Mara Delaney hired Annalisa to find out if Dr. Craig Canning, a surgeon, killed his neighbor. He had been accused of drugging then raping the young woman. Did he do it. Is he what Dr. Mara calls a "good sociopath?" What is her motive? Maybe making sure nothing interferes with the publishing of the book she has written about Dr. Canning. Proving that some sociopaths are ok. Necessary. But are they? Is he? Mara has some secrets of her own that will be revealed. 

Vicki is the first victim in this story. The one that Dr. Delaney thinks Dr. Canning murdered. Did she maybe have other enemies? Or is the Dr really a sociopath. 

This book was good but didn't wow me like the first two. It still had some good things going on to keep me reading but I was disappointed in Annalisa's character. She seemed to fall short of her bravado. Considering she brought down the Lovelorn Killer I expected her to be fierce. In some places she was but overall I think she lost some of her spunk. Maybe she should be a cop again. We will see what happens in the next book and I am sure there will be another one.

Thank you #NetGalley, #StMartinsPress for this ARC. This is my thoughts about this book.

3.5 stars from me. 

About

The fourth installment in the beloved Detective Annalisa Vega series

Is there such a thing as a good sociopath? Newly minted private investigator Annalisa Vega is skeptical, but her first client, Mara Delaney, insists that some sociopaths are beneficial to society. Mara has even written a book titled The Good Sociopath that is centered around Chicago neurosurgeon Craig Canning. Dr. Canning has saved hundreds of lives so it shouldn’t matter that he doesn’t actually care about his patients, should it? But Mara has a more urgent problem, which is that she is now concerned that Canning might not be such a good sociopath after all. A young woman in Canning’s apartment building mysteriously plunged to her death from a balcony, and Mara fears Canning could be responsible. She needs to uncover the truth about Canning before the book comes out, so Annalisa has little time to search for answers.

Annalisa quickly discovers that more than one person wanted the young woman dead. Canning insists he didn’t do it. His charming, unflappable demeanor suggests that either he’s telling the truth or Mara is right and he’s cold-hearted to the core. The cops, including Annalisa’s husband, think the girl’s death was an accident. The more Annalisa probes, the more she becomes convinced it’s a fiendishly clever murder, one only a brilliant psychopath could pull off. She draws deeper into a battle of wits with Canning, so determined to prove his guilt that she forgets Mara’s most important warning―that sociopaths only care about winning at all costs. When Annalisa finally peels back the layers of deceit to reveal the horrifying truth of the girl’s death, she may be too late to save herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paris Daughter(The Lost Daughters, #5) by Soraya M. Lane

  My thoughts This has been one of the best series I have read. This is book 5 and it's even better than the last. Each was better and t...