Monday, July 11, 2022

LOOK CLOSER by David Ellis

 

MY THOUGHTS

This is one good book. It took me completely by surprise. I did not see it coming. I was shocked. Totally shocked. 

Revenge can be sweet I suppose. If you wait long enough. But then who's revenge? Who was seeking revenge? Things are not at all as they seem in this book. There are so many surprises that you won't know if it's happening or not. You may think you have it all figured out... You do not!

This story is told from four povs. Simon, Vicky, Christian, and Jane. Simon and Vicky are married. Christian is a financial advisor. Jane is a detective. They all have something in common. Their lives have all intersected at some point in time. Then of course there is Lauren. Beautiful, dead Lauren. What does she have in common with these people? Or does she? Is she possibly just an innocent victim in all of this?

This book literally took my breath away. When I read the who and what I was left holding my breath. My mouth hanging open. I was shocked. Not many books do this. I usually have some idea who did what. Not this time. It was great. This author weaved a story that will have you scratching your head many times. Have you questioning your abilities to figure things out. He's great at what he's done here. I loved it.

This is one book that you do not want to miss. It's told from before and after. Before Halloween and after halloween. Before Lauren's death and after. Telling what leads up to the big day and why. I found myself rooting for the "bad guys." I tried not too but you'll see. Sometimes things happen for a very good reason. This is one of those times. This book is so good. 

Thank you #NetGalley, #DavidEllis, #PenguinGroupPutnam for this arc. This is my own true feelings about this book. IT'S GREAT! 

5/5 stars and I highly recommend this one. You won't regret it I promise.

SYNOPSIS

From the bestselling and award-winning author comes a wickedly clever and fast-paced novel of greed, revenge, obsession--and quite possibly the perfect murder.

Simon and Vicky couldn't seem more normal: a wealthy Chicago couple, he a respected law professor, she an advocate for domestic violence victims. A stable, if unexciting marriage. But one thing's for sure ... absolutely nothing is what it seems. The pair are far from normal, and one of them just may be a killer.

When the body of a beautiful socialite is found hanging in a mansion in a nearby suburb, Simon and Vicky's secrets begin to unravel. A secret whirlwind affair. A twenty-million-dollar trust fund about to come due. A decades-long grudge and obsession with revenge. These are just a few of the lies that make up the complex web...and they will have devastating consequences. And while both Vicky and Simon are liars, just who exactly is conning who?

Part Gone Girl, part Strangers on a TrainLook Closer is a wild rollercoaster of a read that will have you questioning everything you think you know.


6 comments:

  1. Yes!! I'm so glad you loved this book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. One of the very best thrillers I have read this year. Maybe even last year.

      Delete
  2. Wow, now I must check this one out! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’m sure you will love it. If you like a great thriller, I know you will.

      Delete
  3. Yes, totally a page turner and a surprise. Love books like this one.

    ReplyDelete

Disturbing The Dead by Kelley Armstrong

  My thoughts I usually don't read many time travel books but these have been so good. This author has go beyond the realm of what my im...