Monday, September 4, 2023

Dark Corners by Megan Goldin

 

My thoughts

I read and loved THE NIGHT SWIM by this author. It was the first book in this series buy you do not have to read it first to enjoy this one. They can each definitely be a standalone. This author is very good at weaving a thriller that keeps you turning the pages.

There are quite a few characters in this book. Not in a confusing way but as main and secondary characters. I enjoyed getting to know five or six of them. Rachel and Maddison the two influencers/podcasters. Thomas McCoy the ride share guy. Terrance Bailey the prisoner. And Joe Martinez the FBI agent. While I disliked some there were some that I really loved. Like Joe. I think he was a good guy even though he's law enforcement. I even like Terrance. I didn't much like Thomas at all. He just got on my last nerve so to speak. 

I guessed a lot of things in this book. Figured out fairly early on who the killer/killers was. I figured out who Maddison was and where she most likely was. I was correct. Now that did not take away from this book at all. I think it's because I read so many thrillers like this that I figure out who did what to whom. Or I'm just that perceptive. I don't know for sure. I do know that this is one good story. It contains quite a few things to keep you wanting more. Keeps you wondering if this killer is ever going to be caught or if some other innocent person might pay for the killers crimes. Maybe the two are working together. I can't tell you that. 

This book is very good. I won't tell you what it's about because the synopsis does that for you. I will say that it has some crazy things going on. The people that are at the convention for influencers are a bit out there for sure. I don't think it sounds very fun to be an influencer if you have to do all they do. Some of them are nice but most seem very stuck up. At least to other influencers. 

There are a couple of abductions and a few murders in this book. Only a couple of the murders are described and those not in to much detail. A burial place where they are kept. A dark basement. A few suspects. All the makings for a good serial killer story. 

Thank you #NetGalley, #MeganGoldin, #StMartinsPress for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts about this book. It was also my BOTM choice.

Five big stars and a high recommendation if you like a good dark thriller.

Synopsis

Terence Bailey is about to be released from prison for breaking and entering, though investigators have long suspected him in the murders of six women. As his freedom approaches, Bailey gets a surprise visit from Maddison Logan, a hot, young influencer with a huge social media following. Hours later, Maddison disappears, and police suspect she’s been kidnapped—or worse. Is Maddison’s disappearance connected to her visit to Bailey? Why was she visiting him in the first place?

When they hit a wall in the investigation, the FBI reluctantly asks for Rachel’s help in finding the missing influencer. Maddison seems only to exist on social media; she has no family, no friends, and other than in her posts, most people have never seen her. Who is she, really? Using a fake Instagram account, Rachel Krall goes undercover to BuzzCon, a popular influencer conference, where she discovers a world of fierce rivalry that may have turned lethal.

When police find the body of a woman with a tattoo of a snake eating its tail, the FBI must consider a chilling possibility: Bailey has an accomplice on the outside and a dangerous obsession with influencers, including Rachel Krell herself. Suddenly a target of a monster hiding in plain sight, Rachel is forced to confront the very real dangers that lurk in the dark corners of the internet.

Rachel Krall, the true crime podcaster star of Megan Goldin’s acclaimed Night Swim returns to search for a popular social media influencer who disappeared after visiting a suspected serial killer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Sophie by Imran Mahmood

My thoughts What did I just read. From the first page to the last. I truly can't believe I actually stuck with this book.  This is the k...