Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Dead and Gone by Joanna Schaffhausen

 

My thougths

This is the third book in the Detective Annalisa Vega series. I hope it's not the last. I've read and enjoyed all three and others by this author. I always get happy when I see a new book by Joanna Schaffhausen. She's one of my favorite authors. 

This book has several murders and a man dressed as a chicken robbing people all going on. I suppose you could easily get lost while reading it but I really don't think it's hard. Annalisa is pulled off the chicken case and put on another. Her boss calls her to the scene of a man hanging from a tree with the word PIG painted on his shirt. The P is backwards. The man is a friend of Annalisa's boss from way back. He was once a cop but turned PI after leaving the force for his own reasons. Annalisa is to work this case and find out who did this. She also starts looking into three cases that the PI was working on. One being the college where her niece goes. She's being stalked and her dad wants to know who. There are several suspects in the PI's hanging and you will find out who did it. The college case is scary in many ways. Someone has abducted Annalisa's niece's best friend and roommate. 

This book has a lot going on. I mean a lot. But if you can differentiate each case you won't have a problem following this story. There is also Annalisa's life with her partner Nick. They were married then divorced but are back together and doing great. I finally like Nick... 

Annalisa has solved some pretty deep cases in her career. I can't say much about that or I'll be giving something away and if you haven't read the first two books you would not want me to tell. Read them. They are great. Then you'll want to read this one of course. 

The story here is told in such a way that you get to know several of the characters and what they are going through. You'll remember some from the last two books. I liked the characters and the writing style very much. This author does not disappoint. It's all laid out there for you to try and figure out. I did not. I had a hunch about the PI's death and in part was right. The rest I had no clue. Well wait, I did figure out who was responsible for the missing mom. That was kind of a given to me. I loved how this one ended. Partly that is. I hope it's not the last book. I want to know more about Nick and Annalisa. Will they make it this time and what will he think of her big decision? 

I throughly enjoyed reading this book. Now to wait for the next one. 

Thank you #NetGalley, #JoannaSchaffhausen, #StMartinsPress/MinotaurBooks for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts about this book.

Five huge stars and the highest recommendation.

Synopsis

The next installment of Joanna Schaffhausen's critically acclaimed Detective Annalisa Vega series.

For Chicago police detective Annalisa Vega, Sam Tran’s death presents an ominous puzzle. The ex-cop turned PI is found hanging from a cemetery tree with a message across his chest that suggests someone holds a murderous grudge against the police. Annalisa suspects the real answer lies in one of Tran’s open cases. She believes he stumbled on a dark secret during his investigations and someone killed him to keep him quiet. Her own family harbors plenty of secrets, something Annalisa is reminded of when her brother turns out to be one of Sam’s last clients.

Vinny Vega hired Tran to find a dangerous stalker on his daughter’s college campus. Now Sam is dead and the stalker remains at large, with Annalisa’s niece Quinn firmly in his sights.

To protect Quinn, Annalisa begins tracing Sam’s steps back through his open cases, which include not only the campus stalker but also a brutal double homicide from twenty years ago. Did Sam finally find the killer? Did he uncover the stalker’s identity? Annalisa must figure out which secret got Sam killed, and fast, or someone else will die. Every move she makes brings her closer to the truth of Sam’s death, and closer to a murderer who will stop at nothing to remain free.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Sophie by Imran Mahmood

My thoughts What did I just read. From the first page to the last. I truly can't believe I actually stuck with this book.  This is the k...