Tuesday, January 25, 2022

SOMEONE ELSE'S CHILD by Alison Ragsdale

 

The first time I saw you, I knew you were meant to be ours. I took you in my arms, your little hands in tight fists, and I knew I was going to do everything in my power to be the mother you needed and deserved…


When Catriona loses her baby girl at birth, it shatters her. But like a light in the darkness, Catriona is given the chance to adopt beautiful baby April, and now she cannot imagine life without her.

The family’s picture-perfect home is filled every day with April’s warm giggles and joyful games. But when her daughter is just eight years old, Catriona gets the call that she has been silently dreading. April’s birth mother, Lauren, would like to meet her.

Lauren breezes into their home and April just sparkles around her. Their matching turquoise eyes and chestnut hair feels like a knife to Catriona’s heart. Lauren appears to have her life back on track, with a good job and a new house in an upscale neighbourhood. Pushing to spend more and more time with April, one day Lauren says the unthinkable: April belongs with me.

Who can truly give the little girl the love and family she deserves? Catriona is sure Lauren is keeping secrets. Catriona only wants what is best for her darling daughter, but does that really mean she has to let her go forever?

A totally unforgettable, emotional, and beautiful novel that will break your heart into a million pieces and put it back together again. Powerful and ultimately uplifting, fans of Kate Hewitt, Jodi Picoult and Diane Chamberlain will be captivated.

Author Bio

A former marketing executive, originally from Edinburgh, Alison now lives near Washington D.C. with her husband and dog. She was educated in England and holds an MBA from Leicester University.

For more information on upcoming books go to www.alisonragsdale.com.

 

SOCIAL MEDIA

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authoralisonragsdale

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/AlisonRagsdale



Book: Someone Else's Child 
Author: Alison Ragsdale 
Pub Day: Jan 21st 2022 

Buy Link:


MY THOUGHTS

Alison Ragsdale always tells a story that will tug at your heartstrings. Make you weep. Make you keep turning the pages. Her books have such feelings. My emotions were all over the place with this one. Mainly weeping for a mother and child. Even for the dad, though I was very angry at him for a while.

When Catriona and Duncan lose a baby right after it's birth their lives take a sharp turn. They had twin girls and lost one. But there was another baby girl that needed a home. A baby girl who they needed also. Even if they didn't realize how much at the time. There was only a couple of days difference between these baby girl's birth. Hope was the biological baby who was suppose to have a twin sister coming home with her. April was a baby who they adopted. Little did they know how much this little one would mean to them. Little did they know the pain their lives were going to feel. A pain that is beyond words.

This story made me weep. It went through many tissues reading this one and loved every single minute of it. It brought feelings out that I wasn't expecting. Made me feel the pain that Cat felt. The silence she experienced from her daughter. The loneliness she felt from her husband, Duncan. Then the fear she felt from Lauren. Cat goes through so much after a devastating loss. She pushes her husband away and in many ways I understood why. I was angry at him too for a while. I felt like he ran. Deserted his wife and child. His grieving didn't seem to resonate with me. Until it did.

This is a very touching story of love and loss. Of a family almost destroyed. Of such pain that you wonder if they will make it through. Will they come out the other side together. Stronger. Or will they be alone to grieve separately. What will become of this family. Tragedy strikes and people change. But they can heal. Can't they?

Thank you to #NetGalley, #AlisonRagsdale, #Bookouture for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this book.

5/5 stars and a very high recommendation. Just please make sure you have lots of tissues as it is typical Alison Ragsdale tearjerker reading. With just enough love to keep you sane.


5 comments:

  1. Stories of adoptions that become complicated with questions of who gets final custody are heart wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But this is so much more than that. It’s very good and yes heart wrenching also.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I do need a good cry! I love this kind of story, and your review drew me in. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      This one will definitely make you cry.

      Delete
  3. You're right! It is so much more than final custody. There was problems in a loving family that lost a birth child. Great review. I loved this book!

    ReplyDelete

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

  My thoughts This book is not at all what I was hoping for. It's was a first for me by this author and I'm so disappointed.  Parts ...